Wednesday, June 18, 2014

COUNCIL MEETING PART 2



Before I address the pearl of today’s blog there is one more Ordinance item about which I would comment. That is the one mandating direct deposit of checks.

The Council correctly has concerns about the approximate 150 out of some 500 employees who do not have a bank account. There are also those with accounts who do not want direct deposit for whatever reason.

Since I do not believe in direct deposit or electronic bill payments I can understand those concerns. However since Administration claims it costs 51 cents to process a check that would be approximately $250.00 per pay period or about $6000.00 a year on a semimonthly pay period. That is truly a drop in the bucket and new costs as well as changes in other costs in issuing a paycheck have not been factored in.

Administration has not completely though out the mechanics and remarked that those who do not have bank or Credit Union accounts would be able to get their pay from a designated bank. The costs have not been factored in.

One possible route would be for the City with the Unions OK
to strike a deal with a Credit Union to issue not a “debit” card which implies a bank account; but the pay in what is essentially a “gift card” which can be used like a credit card until depleted.   

That takes us to a comment I received Tuesday to that days blog, “Delayed Report”. My original intent was to trash the comment. However, since that Anon seems to be a person of some intelligence and perhaps high education  as reflected in his vocabulary; I elected, instead of trashing or  even posting it under comments,that I should give it the exposure that it would not receive otherwise.

I am posting it exactly as received. You will note that there are typos which all of us do make from time to time so do not hold them against the writer.
     
  Doc, I have read far too often your insipid and insensitive remarks. Many times I ignore your obtuse analysis and count your lack of cogent arguments as a symptom of a superannuated pedestrian who for some odd reason feels he he is lucud. You and your minions who rally behind you are a disgrace.

I would have preferred that this Anon not be a coward and put his name or face on his epistle so I could direct my reply directly to him/her .

As you can see it was written by someone who has by virtue of the scope of his vocabulary an extraordinary self-ego of which he is ashamed to acknowledge. 

This person believes that by being pretentious he can be authoritative. But indeed such phrases as “superannuated pedestrian” border on malapropism.

Regarding my “minions” I am flattered that some thinks I have a following that is dependent on me. Since Webster defines minions as “someone who is not powerful or important and who obeys the orders of a powerful leader or boss” I would think that this would be more appropriate to describe the opinion some have of Plainfield’s Councilors.

I cannot comprehend why this individual reads my blog since he twice (insipid, pedestrian) comments that he finds me to be boring.

Anyhow, I hope my "minions" will not desert my blog and comment frequently.

13 comments:

  1. 30% of City employees don't have bank accounts? Really, is it that high? Who provided the figure, the Administration or a councilor speaking off the top of their head? If the number is that high, it's a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the to and fro I think I heard either 120 or 150, not sure because Smiley's microphone voice was low.

      Delete
  2. Hi Doc. Why don't you like direct deposit? I've had it for years, it's very convenient. I also do banking online, rarely write a check. But, I am a computer geek!

    I've always found people who use "fancy words" funny. Intelligence to me is being about to take a problem and make it simple, so everyone can understand.

    I don't understand how anyone can be considered a "disgrace" for expressing an opinion. It would be more correct for your critic to say he/she doesn't agree with your conclusions, and give their reasoning. Name-calling is just name-calling, and doesn't require logic. Stating an opinion and the facts/experiences you base those opinions on -- that requires critical thinking.

    Critical thinking -- irrespective of vocabulary -- I think is in short supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like direct deposits because I may fail to keep a record on my balance. It is easier for recordkeeping to have a check in hand to deposit. If I have many sources of direct deposit it makes it a chore to change banks,

      I don't like automatic payments due to the balance problem. Moreover it is givin somebody else a route of entry to my bank, and we know that financial institutions are not safe from hackers. And above all I believe we are placing too much reliance on computer safety. Backups can fail as well as the original.

      Delete
  3. Minion, here, just checking in to make sure you know some of us haven't departed. (Sorry, but i don't know my number; I think you forgot to send me my membership card.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on truckin' Doc. Your commentaries are a service to the community. The screed from your critic is without substance; a veneer over an intellectual vacuum.

    Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doc,

    Another minion here.

    I wonder why Mr./Ms. big words keeps reading your blog?

    Perhaps they are a superannuated pedestrian?

    Love your blog, and proud to be an 'Doc minion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possessor of Minions ??? Why... how Jerry'esque of you Doc... Although I would bow to your medical advice and opinion on any given day I can say with some confidence that I would most definitely feel free to disagree with you and expect and educated commentary back and forth.....
    Regardless of the educated feel of the dissenter of your blog ( why read it then ?? .. I don't like Jerry's "YEA ME" "blog" so I don't read it ) they aren't smart enough to stop reading it if it bothers them so much.... Kinda dumb of them ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doc,

    You are right in your application of the term 'minions" to "Jerry's Kids" on Council. At least someone in the conversation with Anon was.

    Tom Kaercher

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would assume that direct deposit would not be mandatory. I also wonder about people who don't have bank accounts. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bank accounts is one of the problems that Council questions;administration has been vague on how it would be handled inferring somehow a no cost bank or credit unio accounts would be set up for withdrawal of pay. The plan is supposed to be mandatory according to the state for all full time employees as well as part time. Temporary and seasonal employees will not be covered but can opt in.

      I too object to mandatory.

      Delete
  9. No direct deposit ... because they cannot add

    ReplyDelete
  10. Social Security has mandatory direct deposit. No more checks, for reasons of cost. If one were to find out how they deal with those who want to opt out, one would have an idea of how we should do it, rather than re-inventing the wheel.
    Sorry, I could have used larger words, I am highly educated, but since the NY times is written on a 7th grade reading level, to be understood easily, I will also. If you use the minions guy's fifty cent words next week, he/she won't understand them, because they don't know now.
    Keep on telling us what you think, and we will keep responding, that is how conversation works. Point/ counterpoint- thesis/ antithesis
    Thank You


    ReplyDelete