Another dreary dark depressive day, made worse by last night’s
meeting.
First let me make it clear; to begin with I am not
addressing the issue of political motivation in the firing of Lamar Mackson. To
an outsider it appears that this is just one more of many vindictive political
moves by both factions, the Mayor and the gang of four, since Jan 1, 2014. All
are ill advised and detrimental to Plainfield.
But more about that latter; what I am focusing on occurred between
7:30 pm and 8:30 pm on June 10, 2014 in the Court Room venue of the City
Council.
I have no objection to the more than a dozen citizens who
spoke about what they considered and probably rightly so, to be an injustice.
That is
what that portion of the council meeting is supposed to facilitate.
Non-the-less, no matter what the Councilors personal feelings
are, this portion of the agenda is not the forum for any of them to interject their
own opinions, nor to interrupt speakers.
Nor is it the place to use as a soap box for long orations especially
proclaiming ones support for the Mayor, but how one will fight him to the end
to “protect our children”.
It is incidents like that one which makes Plainfield a
laughing stock. As one citizen sitting behind me get muttering; “disgusting,
this is not the place for such outburst”.
Rivers and Taylor, who seems to have assumed the role of mouthpiece
for the Council, should have waited as Councilor Storch did until the public
comment period was close and then made their comments.
Furthermore if I have not been overwhelm by the rancor
expressed up front, it seems to me that the City Administrator was interrupted and
cut off when trying to speak. Unfortunately his mike did not seem to be working
because I could never hear what he was saying.
But let’s return to the political aspects. The action of the
Mayor was undoubtedly ill-advised. Whether the person involved was targeted
because of relationships with members of the Green faction I do not know,
although the circumstances would suggest such a motive.
However, the timing of the action; as a reaction of the
voting results seems unlikely since the results were as predicted. The machine
should not be blamed for the defeat of 2/3rds of the New Democrat ticket. The
failure there was an inability to assure more than a 15% turnout of eligible voters.
There are about 10K registered Democrats and another 8.5K including
about 900 Republicans voters who are not registered in the Democrat party and
who do not desire to have an input in selecting Plainfield’s government. Taking
all numbers into account it is obvious that about 10% of voters considered it
important to elect the city Council.
Since there is only one Party in Plainfield, Democracy
demands that those who are at odds with a local party dictatorship should file
an opposition slate. To get together afterwards on State and National issues is
only proper and should not be subject to derision from the entrenched core.
Would the latter prefer that at the general elections the “New Democrats and
other affiliated free thinkers vote en-mass for the Republicans? I am
sure not.
Our Council is acting toward the Mayor like the Republican
Congress acts toward the President. Our Mayor or his advisers seem to be
emulating Christie. Neither will result in a desirable community.
The question of what funds were allocated or not is debatable.
I have not closely studied the final budget, but I do believe that
allocations for salaries is a total line item not for a specific individual and
or job. Thus it is the administration prerogative to allocate funding as it
best sees fit. It could eliminate the position Council targeted or other
position; the Council cannot dictate just express its desire.
It also makes little sense to compare spot allocations,
increases and or decreases with the previous year’s budget. The only valid
statistic is the difference between the Administration’s submitted budget and
the line items of the final Council approved budget.
I believe that the Council has a right to object to a
specific job termination and demand an explanation; but do not make it a public
spectacle to justify their own negative agenda.
After all the rhetoric the Council agreed to put on the
agenda the resolution out sourcing the media work. It also will place on the
agenda an ordinance mandating spending funds- not allocated- to tape the
Council meetings, which should be a given.
I know this is long and mufti facet, but I welcome your remarks and constructive comments.
Hi Doc look at the budget it speaks for itself. This was not a cut due to budget constraints this was personal and this administrations needs to rethink there decision. THE MONEY IS THERE. I did here that Mayor Mapp thought Mr. Mackson overstepped his boundaries. I understand Mayor Mapp was heard saying that Mr. Mackson forgot this was his city and not Mr. Mackson City, well I am here to tell Mayor Mapp this is the residents City and this is a disgrace. Even if Mr. Mackson over stepped his boundaries if that's the case sit down and talk about it, don't fire him. That is just to extreme. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. This is just horrible.
ReplyDeleteRenee
Hi Doc,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your ‘long and multi-facetted” blog post discussing the events of last evening, the political reality in Plainfield, and the roles of the various branches of government. It was enlightening and thought-provoking.
The Council passed the City budget, after hopefully making careful analysis and determination about what dollars to add or cut to or from it, for the benefit of Plainfield. Now it’s the Mayor’s job to take the budget the Council gave him and implement it as he sees fit to move Plainfield forward, which may include some moves that are not popular with the Council and citizens.
Hope springs eternal that all decisions would be driven by putting the most competent people in City jobs, negotiating and signing contracts that are in the best interest of the taxpayers, and making Plainfield run as efficiently or cost effectively as possible. Unfortunately that never seems to be the case. Historically, decisions seem to have been driven primarily by paying back friends, relatives, business associates, or political allies. What’s in Plainfield’s best interest rarely seems to be a consideration. Nepotism, incompetent hiring’s and appointments, bad contracts, and campaign contribution paybacks have been the reality in Plainfield for decades. The bottom line is, Plainfield runs the way it does today because the people in power, both inside the city and outside the city, benefit because it does. Considering the fact that Plainfield’s combined annual budget (City, PMUA, and School) is about $200Million, there is a lot of reasons to keep it that way if you are a beneficiary.
You make an excellent point that unless and until there is the political will to change the status quo, Plainfield will continue to be run the same way it has been for the last 20+ years. Hopefully, all the political players can find some middle ground to do what’s best for Plainfield.
Sincerely,
Tom Kaercher
HI Tom thanks for your response. I just want to say to you please go and REVIEW the 2014 BUDGET for yourself. I think you will serve the citizens well as a PMUA commissioner. I think you are fair but I do not want you to be blind sided by this administration saying they took this extreme action due to budget constraints. Please take a look at the budget for yourself. This was defiantly bad politics.
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Rob
HAVE A PRESS CONFERENCE. PLAINFIELD IS IN TROUBLE
ReplyDeleteSelf destruction we are heading for self destruction. Queen Latifa's words.
ReplyDelete1:54 AND 1:55 most likely the same person who hit the to send key to quickly
Deleteolddoc I am anon 1:55, I am not anon 1:54 Just wanted to clear the record.
ReplyDeleteI know that last year Ms. Rivers was not the best Council President and her personal agenda always comes through. This year it seems even worse and she seems to constantly cut off the Administration representatives and the public. I'm not impressed by her professionalism and appalled at her obvious bias, which should not be on public display as indicated in this blog.
ReplyDeleteBob Bolmer
Yes Bob Bolmer do like you always do try to sway away from the issue at hand. This is not about Council president Rivers, or any other Council member's today it's about the destructive administration and their un professional ways of doing business. The Firing of Lamar Mackson is the issue at hand today and as one of Mayor Mapps strongest supporters I am very disappointed. No I am not going to give my name why not you might say because if I do the same thing will probably happen to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteDon’t be made because the Mayor is beating you at your own game, touché!
DeleteKS
At leas't I'm not "Anonymous" and I'm not in the pocket of others. My agenda is a better Plainfield and some on this council are not working toward and definitely not showing any professionalism. I expect, perhaps you don't.
DeleteBob Bolmer, again.
Rob,
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point about examining the budget in detail to understand what's being the firing. I am not familiar with the details behind this issue. It may be bad politics as you say. I certainly think it is very important to videotape and broadcast all Council and other City meetings to make them available to as many of the people as possible.
On the other hand, I also don't know how constrained the budget dollars are. It would have been valuable to hear the explanation from the City Administrator had been allowed to finish what he had started to say. I earnestly hope the conflict between the Council and the Mayor doesn't devolve into a tit for tat battle. No one wins that kind of thing and the City as a whole suffers.
Tom
Good morning Tom after the firing of Lamar Mackson the media salary line now have a surplus in the budget. When the council removed the money from the budget they left plenty of money in the salary line to pay for positions that existed in 2014. After the budget cut in the media division there was not enough money to fund Rebecca Perkins (PIO) position unless she took a pay cut to decrease her salary to make what Lamar Mackson salary was. Now that Lamar Mackson have been fired there is a SURPLUS in the media salary line. My question to the administration what political person are they planning to bring in using Lamar Mackson salary to the media department.
ReplyDeleteGood question; two choices, Rebecca Perkins most likely or COS Stewert.
ReplyDeleteNot Stewert but Seward-sorry
DeleteHi Anon,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the information about the media budget before and after the budget cuts. Perhaps the Mayor, having been forced with the budget cuts to choose between Lamar's position and the PIO position, is thinking the PIO position is a more important to achieve his vision of moving Plainfield forward by attracting more investment and development dollars and thereby increase the rateables and tax revenue to the City. It may have nothing to do with Lamar and his performance. It may be just be choosing the higher priority, which businesses are faced with all the time.
Thanks again,
Tom
Tom, you may be right, but the abruptness with which it was done is still shocking and was probably unnecessary.
ReplyDeleteBeing "let go" -- I don't know of any firm that gives you a week or two notice they are letting you go. It never works that way.
ReplyDeleteYou show up. You're told you're not needed. When I worked for Merrill Lynch during layoffs, I showed up, I was escorted to a room, told I was let go, escorted to my desk to get my stuff, walked to the door. That year I had won awards and bonuses. They were cutting head count, my performance didn't matter.
Getting advance notice from an employer, it's never going to happen.