(A) Our world is paved with good intensions; but pavements
do develop potholes. My came last night when I intended to go to the Council’s 3rd
Ward Town Hall Meeting. Regrettably for unknown reasons I did not finish dinner
until 7pm. Despite the fact that the 3rd Ward has always been one of
the better wards for this type of a meeting I did not feel in the mood to rush
to Cedar Brook School.
So, I too will depend on Bernice’s and Dan’s blogs today for
a report. I am sure that there were questions about the Hospital site; about
JFK’s intentions and why the City has not collected taxes. I am also sure that
there were no answers.
(B) Among life’s mysteries is what little information about
local events I can find at the City site. There is a large budget item for IT
in the 2013 proposed Budget; but in 2012 I had trouble finding stuff at the
Plainfield site. This has continued for the first 5 months of 2013.
The NAACP Candidates’ Forum time and location was almost a
well kept secret. I have heard rumors of a “Community Forum” at Washington
School this week, at which time Sharpton will appear; but on my Internet there
was no mention except for Bernice’s blog the other day. Who is sponsoring it?
What is the subject matter? How can I
decide if I would like to attend? Should
not all this be on the City site and easily obtainable?
(C) I have continuously harped on the dangers of relying on electronic
record keeping and mandated electronic communications. My focus has been on
their use in the health care field, yet the dangers are paramount in every aspect
of daily life.
Once again the Chinese have been accused of “hacking in” on
secret information. In the field of Health Care the bean counters have decided
that everything must be done or recorded electronically. Doctor’s have to transmit
prescription electronically to the pharmacy or be subject t to financial
penalties. Personal Privacy a Constitutional right is disregarded.
One example was in an article in WSJ the other day. I have excerpted
two paragraphs:
“In the old days,
sales representatives from drug companies would chat up local pharmacists to
learn what drugs doctors were prescribing. Now such shoulder-rubbing is
becoming a quaint memory — thanks to vast databases of patient and doctor
information being used by pharmaceutical companies to market drugs.
The information allows
drug makers to know which drugs a doctor is prescribing and how that compares
to a colleague across town. They know whether patients are filling their
prescriptions — and refilling them on time. They know details of patients’
medical conditions and lab tests, and sometimes even their age, income and
ethnic backgrounds.”
Supposedly the individual’s identity is not available, but
if some of the above information is on record so is all and nothing is safe.
Oh for the days when the druggist had to fill a doctor’s
illegible written prescription. Nobody could get someone else's personal info from that document.
There were too many topics raised Monday to recount all. Those who did not attend can try to watch the PCTV broadcast for the full content. As usual, there were more questions than answers.
ReplyDelete