Yesterday was one of those days; a midmorning dentist
appointment that screwed up a major portion of the day. This was followed by
some needed paper “housecleaning”. Also a call to a vendor’s human (yes there
is such an animal) about something that supposedly shipped on 11/23 and the “tracking”
ends with 2 days later at Jersey City transfer to USPS. My query was “solved “by:”We
don’t consider it missing before 3 weeks!!”.
It has become apparent
that both UPS and Fed EX. In the past year have been using the postal service
to deliver small packages. Since Cushing Rd is Scotch Plains on the south side
and Plainfield on the north and there are no sidewalks most houses have “rural boxes”
at the street; the carrier uses his truck on this route including the Terrill
Rd section to deliver mail. Sometimes what is stuffed into the box is so tight
it is hard to remove. Also it is obvious that do not fold or bend are unknown
phrases.
So much for non essential rants. More to the point is the
state of Plainfield’s fiscal controls or lack of same. I have frequently
addressed that subject and the seeming lip service paid to the problem by the
majority of Council members. Certainly any query sent to either state or the
County Prosecutor after a period of non action appears to be forgotten. There
has been no desire to determine if there has been any illegal transaction.
This was again pinpointed by two posts today in Bernice’s “Plaintalker”. I am
reprinting Councilor Williams comment to
the one about the indictment of Trenton’s Mayor.
“That should be a lesson but, unfortunately, it remains lost
on those who would excuse the mayor for breaking the law and illegally spending
taxpayer funds. The mayor should resign, as she has, through utter
incompetence, run this city into the ground. The propensity toward venality on
the part of some in her administration should be thoroughly investigated by the
state--if arrests are to be made, so be it. The fraud and corruption that has
been uncovered thus far will, I hope, result in some arrests. It doesn't matter
what the amount of money--what matters is this tendency toward corruption. I
have been on the council for less than 2 years, but I have seen plenty. I look
forward to seeing the inside of the "vanilla box" next week, and I
look forward to seeing the inventory list and all the expenditures made during
the storm. I look forward to seeing a comprehensive and updated emergency plan,
and I look forward to hearing a clarification of the million dollars plus that
our municipal government is supposed to have received. I also look forward to
receiving the (now 7) months of DVDs of the council agenda sessions and
business meetings that have not been aired.”
Maria in her blog calls attention that in the recent mailed SID magazine there is an article about how SID is proceeding with the installation of surveillance cameras down town. I was under the impression that in the past few years Council had approved of various appropriations for this project. That included using the Tepper space for monitoring (rejected) and then at Police Headquarters. Somehow in became tied in with the ShotSpotter program. Do we have an accounting of those funds?
Maria in her blog calls attention that in the recent mailed SID magazine there is an article about how SID is proceeding with the installation of surveillance cameras down town. I was under the impression that in the past few years Council had approved of various appropriations for this project. That included using the Tepper space for monitoring (rejected) and then at Police Headquarters. Somehow in became tied in with the ShotSpotter program. Do we have an accounting of those funds?
She (Williams) is correct; Plainfield’s voters and party leadership seem to accept a lack of financial responsibility as a way of life.
I, like you Doc, feel a need to rant against the ineptness and possible corruption of this administration. An independent audit of this city is needed and arrests made as needed. I think our mayor has a lot of gall to run for another term. I guess her concept of reality is not ours.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments at City Council meetings and I hope you keep up the good work. I have written the governor about the state of affairs in Plainfield and the need for a forensic audit, but I hope others will too.
Dear Doc;
ReplyDeleteThe downtown cameras I mentioned are really store by store cameras, as in Businesses buying their own cameras for inside and outside surveillance, the money for their purchases is private money and, if I understood well, part of it comes from grant money from either SBA or a Chamber of Commerce. Downtown businesses need surveillance and have decided to take this matter into their own hands as the city has failed to act on their promised street cameras year after year.