The next important date is 12/20/12 when the world will end. At least some misinterpret the Mayan calender which has a cycle that ends on that date. Don't worry, your X-mas plans will be OK.
I am sorry to have missed last nights Charter Commission meeting. This Commission was formed according to the Faulkner Act's rules which were not applicable. I would hope that the end result is not to adopt that act's proscribed formats as they are too restrictive. The present Charter can be modified.
The two essential changes are that the Council selects the City Clerk who is their secretary. The other very important change is for the Council to have its independent attorney. The present role of the Corporation Counsel who is appointed and serves at the pleasure of the Mayor; representing the Council in disputes is ludicrous as the record shows.
There is some merit in Alan Goldstein's recommendations in his comments to Bernice's blog today. Two year terms of all Councillors with a number of terms limit (6-8?) may be a good way to go. Incompetents would not stay for 4 years. Also perhaps 2 per ward plus 1 at large might be a good idea.
I would also hope the Commission would redraw the "Departments. Health Services should be part of Public Safety. Also the politically motivated elimination of the Police Chief should be rescinded
The spate of nationwide shootings in public places is one more argument for the restrictions on the sales of hand weapons to the public. Shotguns and rifles for licensed hunting would be OK if well controlled. Pistols and automatics have no place in the public hands except under strict regulated conditions and with periodic renewals. Certainly there should be no sale of assault weapons to other than law enforce3ment or military units.
Darn it! If you are wrong about the end of the world, I won't be able to say."I told you so!"
ReplyDelete