Monday, September 26, 2011

ROAD RAGE

Counselor Storch's announcement in his blog that the Kensington Avenue speed bumps had been removed [or in the process of removal] is of utmost interests to this blogger who has frequently written about the condition and upkeep of Plainfield streets...

I am aware that there has been a recent survey which is supposed to be presented for public consumption at the next Council meeting. I look forward with interest to it. But more to the point; to return to Kensington Avenue and its speed bumps.

It has only been a few years since that Street was repaved,  but my memory may be faulty. However, I questioned then  City Administrator Dashield (?) about the advisability of starting a repavement project in the late fall hoping that the weather conditions would not fall to a point where pouring asphalt would be inappropriate. Although, he assured me that the job would be finished long before frost it was not, and the street was left in a mess during the wintertime.

If I remember right there was a conflict with the contractor about finishing the job which a major amount remained. At that time one road contractor  was supposedly going through bankruptcy and it may have been that one. Another contractor was hired to finish the reconstruction. I would presume that it was the second contractor who installed the speed bumps. I would also assume that the engineers employed by the city as part of their contract would have made certain that the installation is proper and met specifications. I would also assume that there was a performance bond file by both contractors and if they were in default on meeting the specifications than the bonding company would be responsible for the repavement. I hope the City did not spend additional funds to finish the work. These questions should be answered.

As another reader has pointed out removing the speed bumps will compromise the integrity of the pavement. I would hope that any replacement bumps also include a satisfactory restoration was joined bonding of the road pavement.

This of course brings up another question. Next week will be October and what is the status of the Roosevelt Avenue and South Ave. projects? More importantly, has there been any movement to repaving another portion of Watchung Avenue.? If not, why not fill the potholes that are now reaching dangerous levels. Since it is unlikely that any pavement will be touched this year we must have at least that temporary compromise to carry over the winter. I would hope that money is not being wasted on cold patch.

There is another street that I travel on frequently and that is a Leland Avenue. The portion from the brook to Front Street I would consider a grade 3 and there to E. 7th St. probably grade 5. From E. 7th St. south to  to Cushing Road is probably still only a  grade 7 or at worse 6 on the Wisconsin scale.

As of today, that last portion of Leland Avenue with proper maintenance could be preserved to serve at a minimum another 10 years. There are scattered deep small potholes that should be repaired hot patching. There are numerous joint and linear cracks that if tarred and would restore that surface. Better would be after the potholes are filled to seal coat the street. There are one or two small areas where the road had been opened and  the city's hot patch equipment would be advisable.

I will be accused of only being concerned with the streets in my Ward(s). That is only because these are roads I  am familiar with. I could also mention Woodland Ave. which was repaved about a decade ago and now is approaching a level 4 due to multiple cuts and no sealing. Likewise Cushing Rd which in one year deteriorated to level 3. This Street presents another problem of responsibility because the municipal border runs down  the middle. I am  using these roads as examples because they are major arteries through our city and give a bad first impression to non residents.

It is indeed past time that we had a knowledgeable Director of Public Works responsible for the maintenance of the city's infrastructure. I hope that in the 2012 budget a better priority and efficiency will be given to the allocation of municipal funds by a competent City Administrator and Director of Public Works . I would also hope that the administration and counsel realize how imperative it is to have a qualified Grant Researcher on board.

We can upgrade what is salvageable at little expense compared to resurfacing. Yet we and other communities ignore what is most efficient.

6 comments:

  1. Olddoc, I can report that Roosevelt Avenue has been milled and repaved from the Green Brook bridge to its end at East 7th Street, with new curbs and corner cuts at the intersections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dan. One down and two supposedly to go. I rarely use Roosevelt other than its Rt28 portion so I was not awarfe that it had been finished although I knew the "sidework" on the southern portion was proceeding'

    For South Ave. and Watchung the clock is clicking and we should not bet on global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. America as it used to be and as it is now!

    The Empire State Building was completed in 1 year and 45 days for half its estimated cost . . . WOW!

    It's been over 10 years and I am not sure even the experts can tell you how many times over estimated budget the World Trade Center property is or even when it will be finished!
    And these guys are the construction pros!!!

    I do believe you expect way to much from these local hicks! And then there is the added burden of local Plainfield Government involvement! That in itself signifies ineptitude!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving around the city and potholes are everywhere.
    If the city truly is unaware of these potholes EVERYWHERE one might think taking a hint from many state and local DOT's such as having a spot on their website where you can report them and get a confirmation that it was acknowledged might give the automotive residents some faith that the issues are being worked on. But with winter right around the corner and many of the potholes in my neighborhood having been more than visible for 6months with no effort at filling them. And, these are not obscure hard to find mini-connector roads in the city...I am at a loss as to help the city. Roads are def not in the Top 10 of priorities for the City of Plainfield...what's in that Top 10..anybody's guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for Roosevelt Ave. being finished. That road was to be ashamed of, especially when so many police vehicles use that street to get to the police station. I'm also glad that Kensingson is being properly done. We should make the idiot who made the bad decisions pay for the repairs. I also would like to know who designed the Park and 9th "Peninsula". Blocking off Propsect Ave. is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why, to make room for some flowers and more sidewalk than we need. I've passed that intersection on my way to work for years and it was not dangerous or in need of so much expensive work. For a small project it seems to be taking months to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob -- I think part of the reason for the re-design is originally you had the merging lane and the regular road lane -- with no sidewalks. That area a lot of kids walk to the high school. The kids had to cross two roads .. and the merging road had no controls on it. A lot of potential for something bad to happen.

    The redesign makes it only one crossing, with plenty of sidewalks. Simpler, with a pretty pocket park for everyone to enjoy.

    Who knows why it's taking so long? That's a contractor mystery -- it always takes longer than you think it will.

    Maria can correct me if I'm wrong about the design considerations.

    Olive

    ReplyDelete