Sunday, April 25, 2010

POTPOURRI ON A RAINY SUNDAY

(1)Last night I accidentally hit Channel 34 (Fios) and I was viewing the last stages of this month's Council meeting. I'm sorry that I had no advance knowledge that this was being broadcasted. I can not find any schedule of broadcasts on this channel. Can any one help, and why is it not posted on the city's site?.

I must say that Councilor Reid is a superb performer on TV. His remarks and comments are worth repetitive watching. I was also disappointed that I had turned to this channel to late to reprise my "tour de force" prior to the action on the request post facto approval for 250+K for the Senior Center. I hope I can become aware of a repeat viewing.

The quality of the filming and sound is superb and I would suggest that anyone who is interested in the Council but misses the meetings watch this program. BUT we need it publicized.

(2)This AM on Channel 7, Corzine was interviewed on the proposed new laws regulating the investment/banking industry. before ruining for political office.,he had been CEO of Gloldman Sachs, one of the biggest villains of the economic disaster.

I have never heard but was not surprised by such double talk and evasiveness that he uttered. No wonder New Jersey is in such a financial mess.

(3) The new Arizona law against illegal residents in that state. This is one of the most potential dangerous pieces of legislation against our civil rights passed by any governmental body in my lifetime.

Although theoretically aimed at illegal Latinos, specifically Mexicans who have entered this country to work if ruled constitutional would permit police detention and investigation of anyone that deemed presented "reasonable doubt". The term can not and is not defined. The requirement to have on hand at all times evidence of citizenship or a green card smacks of the totalarian states.

A few comments from news media:
"The measure requires authorities to question people about their immigration status — and allows authorities to arrest them without a warrant — if law enforcement officials have a “reasonable suspicion’’ that they are in the country illegally. It also requires immigrants to carry proof of legal status at all times or risk being arrested, jailed, and fined."

"This is an insidious law that will actually make not just all undocumented immigrants but all legal and U.S. citizen Latinos, many of which whose families have been in Arizona even before Arizona was part of the United States, it makes them under suspicion," she said. "They become people of interest under this law. They could be speaking Spanish on a corner. Who knows what 'reasonable suspicion' means? The governor herself could not answer the question yesterday about what an illegal immigrant looks like."

Let us hope the that the Supreme Court hears the challenges without delay.


(4)Back to PSS; Jay Cooke in today's Courier revisited the election results. His position does reflect mine,that the Board must take action at ie reorganization meeting and that the State must be involved. This is from his column:

"I suspect Cryin' Lenny may pretty soon have to read "Ex" in front of his title as board president. Unfortunately, when Cryin' Lenny does read the "Ex," he may just "skim" it first, then take six or so months to evaluate it and then finally talk it over with several members of the board and the general public before he processes its meaning and comments on it.

If you're reading, Bret Schundler, you still need to take a long, hard look at the hot mess some people still insist on calling the administration of the Plainfield public schools.

Thanks for reading. The Courier News is not a tabloid, but anonymous voicemailers are cowards." Jay Jefferson Cooke 4/25/10


10:00 AM- I have no explanation as to the various type sizes and type faces in this blog. Except for the italics the entire blog was written in one type face-Lucinda- and 14point. As I mature I may be able to prevent these aberrations.



2 comments:

  1. http://www.plainfield.com/docs/TV_Schedule.pdf

    For some reason this is under "Departments" although there are only three in the charter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue of illegal immigration is, I believe, the next serious issue the Federal government must address.

    While I don't agree with the law that this state has passed -- I understand the desperation that caused it to be created.

    The US was built on immigrants coming here for a better life, working hard, helping to build this country. Every "new" group that has come in was treated badly and looked down upon. After a generation, they assimilated into the US culture and added to the richness that is the US.

    Because of Federal mandates however, this group of immigrants has caused great resentment. Some of the biggest issues (at least to me):

    1. All the spanish translations -- why just spanish? why not all the other languages of other immigrants? If they have come to this country, we speak English. Learn it, period. Every other group did. Why the great accommodation?

    2. Free health care. This is a huge issue. I'm an American citizen, no health insurer will cover me. I have to pay my own way when I want care. Yet this group can have babies, get treatment -- all on the citizens' dime -- without contributing. It's welfare.

    3. Children of immigrants. They are citizens. They get programs, education, etc. -- again, paid for by taxpaying citizens.

    States are strapped for cash, can't afford their bills. In some states, illegal immigration is breaking the state bank. So, while I don't agree with the law, I understand the state's choice. Since the Federal government won't make decisions, the states will start making decisions.

    I do not attribute this and other issues to the immigrants themselves. I don't blame them. They are human beings seeking a better life, and "working the system" that is currently in place.

    I blame completely and fully our goverment officials who, because they are spineless, have refused to make a decision, and deal with the issue. No matter what decision is made, people aren't going to like it. Such is compromise.

    ReplyDelete