Friday, February 6, 2009

Apologia

As a preamble for comments and in the spirit of the day;





Cold weather, writers block,other priorities resulted in no significant out put yesterday and for to day.

Since starting this blog,I have written repeatedly about the city's finances and its unique solutions to compensate for grievous errors. My car and I have expressed our concerns about the roads. I am reduced to posting 30+ year old photos, some have withstood the rigors of time others are in various degrees of aging. Yet,I am going to have two brief shots today at the old dogs.

An argument was made for the assigning 24/7 vehicles to two city officials. No none made an issue about a verbal contract by administration without Council's approval. Improper if not fraudulent.

The compelling argument was that this was a needed perk to obtain quality individuals. I believe that the two involved in this dispute fill that criteria. However, information obtained reveals that neither is near the top of their pay scale and in fact there are at least three subservient individuals who receive a larger pay check, and none of these are filling double positions as the two concerned administrators are doing.

Cars and bonuses do not guarantee the best administrative personnel Proper vetting prospects will help. There are always good people who find the job more important than the money.

I have seen better pavements than South Ave in war zones. Oh that is an exaggeration but it almost true. South Ave. problems are not just due to the bad winter or the lack of preventive maintenance, but to substandard construction including materials and engineering. Was legal action ever instituted against the approved "vendors"? If not why not. There should have been a bond to cover any problems. How soon after the job was finished was the bond released?

I would urge a good turnout Monday at the travelling Agenda Session, although that is contrary to my opinions. Financial questions must be raised and answered. Let us hope that the solutions are not flim flam bandaids.

2 comments:

  1. The South Avenue "reconstruction" was done by the previous administration. The bumpouts are and have been a disaster, and many people are now taking 7th Street instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANONYMOUS 2:33pm,I am aware when the South Ave, and also North Ave reconstructions were done, and have not swept them under the table. Perhaps we could be informed how the engineering and paving contracts were awarded. I known the bonding company was involved in the correction of the North Ave pipe fiasco

    ReplyDelete