Friday, October 31, 2014

FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH-THE ELECTION



Four more days for campaigning before election. For all the noise that I have not heard there IS going to be an election on November 4, 2014.

Believe it or not this is an important election. However I can only address it very superficially and disappointedly because of what is a rare candidates’ blackout in our area. Not only local, but also county, state, and national races seem not to exist from the amount of propaganda received in the mail or on the air.

The Board of Education election is supposed to be non-partisan and non-political. However in Plainfield as in Elizabeth where the powerful unofficial County Boss Lesniak is supporting through an “independent" PAC a slate in opposition to the entrenched slate beholden to his political opponent; there are two slates plus an incumbent running this time sans slate support.

The JG local party makes no secret of its slate including placing support signs in its window. The Campbell backed slate is trying to maintain its hold of many years. Each slate has some candidates that could be productive Board members if they did not have political baggage encumbrance.

The fact that Hurtt is at odds with his original running mates and his experience on the Board would make him a choice. As to the others my opinion is that there were most at the LWV’s forum who did not project any outstating reason to indicate that they could be a change for the better on the Board.

My best advice; don’t vote a slate. Chose from among the two slates perhaps the best one from Column A and one from Column B by default.

This Board will never be a good representation for Plainfield’s educational needs until it does not become a political vehicle. Transparency in contracts, as well as patronage impact on staffing, and personal relationships is a requirement that receives only lip service.  

There is nothing but a Black Wreath to place about the Council races. With a 10:1 Democrat registration advantage, the Republicans did not even place a candidate for the 1st Ward seat. Until there is sufficient time to develop some knowledge we are looking at a clone of the 1st& 4th Ward.

The race for the 2nd & 3rd Ward seat unfortunately has the two best qualified potential members of the Council in opposition.
Uniquely the incumbent Rebecca Williams has received less than warm support from the City Party Chairman. That is probably because she has not been a player but acts as she rightly feels is in the best interests of the city and its residents.

It is most unfortunate that the members of the Gang of Four especially its newest one at meetings have too openly expressed  their antagonism to her. This of course has often made her ineffective.

Her opponent William Michelson should have lived in the 3rd Ward. He is light years above the two candidates in that election. I am convinced that his presence on the Council will be a most positive one. Above all, his personality as of yet has not except for one little incident ruffled the feathers of the Gang and its leadership.

I am advocating flipping the coin, but hope it is two headed, for this election. The residents of the two wards are in a win win position.

I wish I could vote in the 3rd ward where I did live as a voter for over 25 years. I have not hidden my disdain for various reasons of the anointed incumbent. Her disrespect for the voters by ignoring the traditional impartial LWV’s Candidates Forum was a slap in the face to every “thinking” resident not only those who can vote in that ward.

Deliberately, Taylor deprived Randy Bullock running on what is supposed to be the Republican ticket of an opportunity to expose himself to the public. What little I know about him is good. The manner in which he received the party nomination was weird. However, if for no other reason than he is not Gloria Taylor he would get my vote if I could...

It will take a revolt by 3rd Ward voters to unseat Taylor. Consider that there are 3847 registered voters in that Ward; 2048 are Democrats, 224 Republicans and 1575 who have indicated no party affiliation.

Assuming that 60% of the registered Democrats turn out and vote the party line that would be 1228 voters. Not all will be for Taylor; perhaps 2/3rds are dedicated party line followers or that mean a total Taylor vote of only about 820 votes. She can be defeated if the majority of the 
Republicans decide their vote counts, and the 400+ Democrats who believe in Democracy in local politics not Bossism, plus even half of the Independents vote for Bullock he would be elected.

Although the numbers and affiliations of the voters are according to the latest information, the conclusions are hypothetical. None the less it indicates that if the voters in that ward are interested in good government it is possible.

Regarding the Freeholders and Sheriffs race; Union County has too long been controlled by the Lesniak Democrats and a change is unlikely. I have no information about any of the Republican Candidates to even express an opinion. However in the past New Jersey politics is what has made this the “Soprano State”.

Despite the fact that several "anomies" have accused me of being a racist; I am again going to vote for Booker for the US Senate and also for Watson Colman for the House. That of course is in line with my “racist’s votes” twice for Obama.

15 comments:

  1. Although I have never seen or heard Randy Bullock do or say anything and probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup, I am still planning on voting for him instead of the "anointed" candidate. A little twist on the old saying " I rather vote for the devil I don't know than the one I do".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've know Randy Bullock for 14 years. He is retired. He was a businessman, served on the School Board and on the board of Habitat for Humanity. He is a decent person with ethics. He is a gentleman and educated.

    If I were a 3rd ward resident, I would vote for Randy. He's been approached by the "King" may times to switch to Democrat and be a "party candidate."

    For the 30+ years Randy has lived in Plainfield, he has refused to kiss the King's ring, unlike many others. He will bring an independent, "unbought" voice to the council.

    For those voting -- please consider Randy, for the good of Plainfield. I personally find Taylor offensive. Through her comments on the council, it is apparent she will not consider the needs of ALL her constituents. All she has to offer is a holier-than-thou, negative attitude. She is not about solving Plainfield's real problems, but about grandstanding and being arrogant.

    Go off the line. Think about Plainfield's future. Taylor will not help us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely voting for Gloria Taylor, she is a decent person who loves Plfd., and is not afraid to express how she feels. She will hold people accountable.She does not care what her haters say, especially the one's who write unfair, bias, and lies about her.. When she wins I along with the citizens of Plfd. will be happy.I encourage all those who live in the 3rd ward to vote for Gloria Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11:06 Brainwashed. Please quote what "unfair, bias, and lies" that we bloggers have written about Taylor. You are free to vote for whomever you wish, that is a right you have been granted. However; always voting a so called ticket because its my party is what creates bad governments..

      Delete
    2. Gloria Taylor is not the best candidate and has shown her disdain and unwillingness to work with the current administration to work for Plainfield. She is pompous and not open the what the people in this city need. She didn't come to the most recent debate or even provide a bio. She puts anyone down who doesn't agree with her and stated that her loyalty is to Jerry Green, not Plainfield. I want to try someone else and know many registered Dems will vote Republican in the 3rd ward. I support them and even though I'm a registered Democrat, I vote for the person, not the party. Gloria has to go so Plainfield can move forward.

      Delete
    3. Bullock and the independent candidate Dorian Hurtt has my vote.

      Delete
  4. Bullock has my vote for 3rd ward council. Gloria no show to league of woman's voters was disrespectful. For school board I know who I won't be voting for, Rutherford. Reading his blog over the past year I find him to be way to political for this non-partisan election.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be voting for Mr. Bullock who took the time to knock on my door and ask for support.I want to see change in Plainfield for all of us. I am tired of Jerry Green's friends and family running Plainfield. I know mr. Bullock will not be able to change much in 2 years,but it is a start . I also want to thank you old Doc for taking time to keep us informed. Mrs. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3:47 What is more partisan than Assemblyman Jerry Green, who is also Union County and Plainfield Dem. Chair running a slate of candidates. In addition provides them or significant others with patronage jobs. You must be kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be voting for Rebecca Williams for Councill 2-3 and The Children First team for the school board. Jerry Green and his cronies obviously want to turn the BOE into the circus that is the City Council. A vote for anyone other the these candidates mentioned is a vote for Jerry Green. Guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Republicans John and Wilma Campbell's so called children first team is no better than the team Mr. Green is sponsoring. The Campbell's been controlling the failing school district for the past 12 years and if you only knew how big of a circus that is you would change your vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :35Who is "you"? If you 7:35 are referring to me, I do not know where you got your knowledge of how I am going to vote or for whom. If you read my blog you will know that I am against political slates in a BOE election. I may only cast one vote and go homr feeling sorry for Plainfield's kids.

      Delete
    2. I had posted a reply that went into cyberspace. However if you read my post I am against all political slates in BOE elections. No group should control that Board nor should the other poltical group take over. This election was meant to be nonpolitical. I may only cast one or two votes dpending on my impression of an individual.

      Delete
  9. Good old Doc, always dreaming. Yes, I too wish that board of education elections were apolitical. It’s a great ideal. But that is all it is, an ideal. The mere fact that board of education members are elected makes it a political process. An alternative would be allowing the mayor to appoint members or a combination of both. But that too is a political process. I would suggest you face reality and accept that politics is part of every breath we take. And like everything else, we can use politics as a God given gift to solve our differences peacefully or we can use it to destroy everything in our path. Politics is as good as the individual or group who exercise it. That said, I would suggest a degree of courage on your part and accept that since the Campbells have had control of the board of education, schools are failing and continue to fail. Don’t take my word for it. Go to the Department of Education Website and look at the score cards of each school in Plainfield. Write a blog detailing your finding. Finally, stop caring about an ideal and start supporting students in Plainfield. Get rid of the Campbells they have done enough damage already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have written my blog to be posted for tomorrow before receiving your comment. I am not daydreaming.I am pragmatic. Why do you think a Jerry Green Board would be better. Y ou consider the Council ideal? I am against ANY slate. The only way we can use politics for good is vote for the person not the Party.

      Delete