Friday, October 24, 2014

FOLLOW UP ON PARASITE




The responses I received regarding my blog “Parasite’ were exactly as expected; some highly critical and many more supportive.

Although the true answer could come on November 4th, the general election time, as I write this I am afraid that the usual “what use is it, I can’t do anything about it” attitude will prevail.

The answer is of course we do have at election time the freedom of choice to vote for individuals and not to be “party bound”.
We, all of us have fought in one way or another for that right and should use it. Many times in a strongly one party dominated electoral unit, as in pseudo-democracies such as Russia or Nazi Germany with their 99% majority or go to jail elections the results is similar. However, there are many times in this country when the people’s voice is triumphant.

If you do not exercise your right you acquiesce to boss politics.

There was one-the first- comment, anonymous of  course, that I felt was typical of the bigoted blind political followers of our local party leader. I am reprinting it for specific comments:  The comment is in blue.

Doc, I am so disgusted with you. Who are you to name call by calling some one a parasite, grow up with your name calling, you are nothing but a bully with a computer.Really? Gloria is doing what whites folks have done and continue to do.

This infers that all “whites” and no “blacks” game the system, i.e. cheat; an unfortunate racist statement. I am sure that the majority of African-Americans as do the Caucasians accept their community responsibilities. Paying affordable taxes is one of them.

Just because this intelligent, strong Black woman was able to be smart enough to retire with benefits don't hate on her.

I have never objected to Gloria Taylor’s own pension benefits other than wish I could have had such a program. I have written that they are legal. . I have no object to the tax exemption for those veterans that are unable to work due to war service injuries, or for their widows. We owe them. It is the amount that makes her more independent than more than half of the residents in Plainfield that is the problem.

Your distain for her is apparent, but look at yourself before you point fingers at her.
You are right, I do have a distain for her. She has earned it not only with her attitude as a Councilwoman pontificating righteously on some subject at every meeting, plus her rudeness towards another Councilor.

Also, at the August 19 Council meeting she not only disrespected me along with other bloggers by saying that bloggers (except one who is a professional) should be disregarded because “all they publish is propaganda”. That is indirect slander.

She followed up in a private conversation with me after the meeting by saying I had no right to blog because “I was not a journalist”. Obviously the Constitution and the first Amendment’s freedom of speech which we live under means nothing to her.

I dare you to call her a parasite in her face. If her husband was alive his foot would still be in your, whatever. Would you threaten me with violence?

Grow up, you are a Bully with a small following that has no power. Ah the JG machine has spoken.

Another wrote:” it is very inappropriate of you to maybe unintentionally minimize the great service and sacrifice made by Mr. Taylor, her husband to this great nation”.

I never wrote that Rick Taylor as a Vietnam veteran did not deserve the benefits that those who served there were entitled to if they met the criteria, and he did.

I have a great deal of common sympathy for those who have served this country in combat and also respect those who were fortunate enough to serve in non-combat posts. FYI, I am entitled to wear the following decorations: Purple Heart Medal, Combat Medical Badge, Glider Badge, Distinguished Unit Badge, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three Bronze Battle Stars and Arrowhead*. Why would I disrespect anyone who served?

The “Arrowhead” is for a combat glider landing. Try enjoying flying through flack.

15 comments:

  1. Gloria Taylor should not be elected because she came on board with a distinct personal agenda. She has demonstrated this in her actions at the meetings. She has a very nasty hateful demeanor. She makes you want to say “can’t we all just get along”? We have two ministers on the council but what a difference in how they conduct themselves.
    When she first came on she complimented the Mayor’s candidate appointments for PMUA and then voted NO for each one for no other reason than she said the current commissioners were not broke so why fix it. We all know what those commissioners did.
    She dug her heels in to not approve a residency waiver for a sorely needed health officer even though most of the Mayor’s key people are indeed residents. Many of the restaurants in town had not been inspected leaving potential for a health hazard and she didn’t want to vote for her. Most of the health officers have not lived in Plainfield including her husband’s.
    She wanted to point her finger at the Mayor when the financial mess was exposed in public like he caused it but failed to at least recognize he was fixing the mess that he was left with.
    She wrongly expressed her opinion that “it sounds like a takeover” when the baseball mess continued. Obviously she didn’t know the history that it was a bully tactic by the previous administration to ruin QCBL. Mayor Mapp was merely trying to right a very wrong situation.
    She has demonstrated that moving the City of Plainfield forward is not what she is there for. She is to be an obstructionist on behalf of who she is loyal to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. But it is up to people like you to convince the great number of 3rd Ward voters who do n ot vte to come out and vote for the Republican , Randy Bullock, the only other candidate. He needs a majority and can only get it from independents and free thinking Democrats.

      Delete
  2. Doc

    There are an abundance of reasons why Mrs. Taylor is unsuited for office. Some of those reasons relating to her politics and others relating to her personality. Take your pick. That said, I think your calling her a parasite is inappropriate. Your using that word is an unexpected departure from your usually balanced rhetoric. Even if you add social security and the stipend she receives as a Council Woman to her income it should be noted that these and those you cited were obtained legally. Various agencies offered a contract which enabled her after a specified length of employment to collect a pension. Mrs. Taylor lived up to her part af the contract and the Agency lived up to its obligation. Mr. Taylor's military service provides additional entitlements. Mrs. Taylor did not game the system. The ability to enable people to double and triple dip is a function of these systems. The system games the taxpayer. As an example. thousands of NYC employees, police, fire fighters, EMT workers sanitation men with the collaboration of their peers work irrational hours overtime the last 3 years of their employment. Since our political leaders have capitulated to the Unions the retirement pay is based on the wages earned during these last 3 years. This is legal. Is if fair to the overtaxed taxpayers is quite another question?
    As to Mrs. Taylor being tardy in her PMUA payments, that goes to character. Any City official who has the means to pay should pay their obligations promptly. Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I am surprised that you missed the point. Ther te is no complaint about Taylor's income. Nor is her being tax exempt according to thee law. However there is a moral issue. The tax exemption is to protect the disable veteran (and his widow) who could not earn an income. to keep his home Taylor's income is far above that of the median resident and tax contributor in Plainfiels. She can carry her weight but does not and you and I pay fpr her.

      Delete
  3. Things eventually catch up to people. Even William Tweed and Richard J. Daley passed from the scene. What became of their minions? People like Taylor need to keep this in mind. I am just glad that you keep plugging away along with your fellow bloggers. Truth is always like a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Bird is a BIG HOT MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank Bill for telling the truth. Doc, you are a hypocrite and trouble maker. You are not clever or cute, just mean.I know anytime someone says something about race to you they are a racist. We live in a racist world you have no idea or one clue what Black people go through every day. Therefore when old white men try to tear down Black women we expect it, and laugh in your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice constructive comment. Yes I am “old” and “white”. You must be by your comment “black” and a woman. How old are you? What discrimination due to your race and age have you yourself suffered? What black women have I
      “torn down”? Yes I do find some wrong with Gloria Taylor and that has nothing to do with gender or race or how much money she “earns” yearly. Her pensions are earned money that she is due.
      There is however an issue of morality not race in that she is although legally taking advantage of a program (Tax exemption) designed to protect disabled Vietnam veterans from losing their homes. In his later years Rick Taylor had leg amputations that qualified him, Gloria is healthy although his widow and has a greater income than 50% of Plainfielders. She is not in any danger of losing her home so should as a member of this community work with the rest of us who pay their taxes to keep it functioning. Do you find that wrong?
      I suppose you find it OK for those who have a “handicap card” which they no longer need to use it to park in a handicap space depriving someone who is really handicapped.

      Delete
  6. Doc, you don't make nice constructive comments, calling someone a parasite, really? YOU are not the moral police. When it's done to you, you start being self-righteous. YOU can dish it out but can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot , but with your name and address so I can respond. I do not hide behind anonymous nor am ashamed to express my opinions. I do n ot expect many to agree but perhaps they might stop and reflect, instead of blindly following the leader. I apologize when I am wrong., do you? Perhaps I was wrong to vote twice for Obama not b ecause he is a Democrat but because I felt it was time and reght. Would you voted for a qualified Muslim or Jew if he was best. I bet not.

      Delete
  7. Hi Doc,

    While I complete agree with you that Mrs. Taylor has shown herself to be completely unfit to be a City Council member because of her repeated failures to serve the citizens she represents and she has steadfastly supported Jerry Green’s agenda, I find it hard to imagine that many people among us would voluntarily pay taxes we were not legally obligated to pay.

    Having said that, there is one issue you mentioned I would like to see addressed; the non-payment of City obligations (PMUA bills and Taxes, where-owed) by elected and/or appointed officials. Mrs. Taylor is not the only elected or appointed Plainfield official who has failed to pay his or her City obligations. The fact is act of Governing over others is a privilege, not a right. As such, I believe it is completely reasonable for those of us being governed to expect our officials to pay their City Obligations on time or to forfeit their privilege to govern.

    I would like to see the following proposal enacted either via a Councilmaic resolution or via a ballot question.

    “Any Plainfield City Official, elected or appointed, included Mayor, City Council Members, Judges, Board Members and Commissioners, who are 30 days late in paying their City obligations including taxes, PMUA bills, and fines, will immediately forfeit his or her position and be barred from serving in any elected or appointed position in the City of Plainfield for a period of four (4) years.”

    This would not apply to City employees, only to those people who are in position to create and enact regulations to govern over the citizens of Plainfield.

    Thanks,

    Tom Kaercher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a great idea Tom. I have always thought that an elected official who does not pay their obligations should not get paid from the city-state etc. So, Gloria Taylor would not get her 10K from the city. Her pay would be garnished until she paid off her PMUA bill. Same thing with Greaves and Reid. They get no pay from the city until their taxes are paid.

      Delete
    2. Great idea . With all the income Taylor earns she should not owe the PMUA or any one else

      Delete
  8. Do they charge interest on the late payments? If so when and how much?

    The interest might be worth it as additional income for the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interest rate on the liens is 18% and goes to the investor who purchases the lien. The city sells the lien and only gets the money that it's owed, essentially transferring the risk of non-payment from the city to the investor. The investor can ultimately foreclose on the property after a certain period of delinquency. In the past, Councilman Reid has advocated for a substantially lower interest rate, but the high rate is fairly standard and acts as an incentive to repay quickly and also to attract investors to take on the risk.

      Delete