Thursday, August 22, 2013

OZ's COUNCIL MEETING #3



One more day about OZ’s Council meeting.

There were two Ordinances accepted on first reading; (1) creating a Community Emergency Response Team-(CERT).  And (2) establishing a “Plainfield African Caribbean Commission

The CERT is long overdue. Director Green head of the Office of Emergency Management noted that the Team will be open to all residents. One of the criteria of membership is passing certain training courses including one in CPR. Such knowledge would be beneficial to all.

Once again that old horse is pushing the cart. The team has been organized and activated since Sandy. It is now to become official. There should be no objections to this Ordinance.

The other proposed Ordinance is a different matter. It seems to be another one of the Mayor’s lame duck brainstorms typical of someone seeking another office. Although I cannot visualize this to be of value in a candidacy for President of the State NAACP.

I have not read the Ordinance in detail so I am not aware of its charge and scope. If and when I obtain a copy I will post further comments.

However, by its title it seems to exclude those whose origins were in South America, i.e. other Latinos.   

As Councilor Williams pointed out; there already are at least two inactive Committees or Commissions on the books; the Human Relations and the “Hispanic Advisory Commission” that might be designated to accomplish that which this new one is supposed to do.

Motivated by Council action as expressed in a 5/10/2010 press release from this Mayor’s office; in June 2010 I posted a blog THE HISPANIC COMMISSION  in which I pointed out certain problems.
I quote in part from the press release: “The Plainfield Advisory Commission on Hispanic Affairs was the brainchild of former councilman Ray Blanco and co writer, Norman E. Ortega. The ordinance was introduced and passed in 2005.
Commissioners have not been appointed until now.
The objective of the commission is to “advise the Mayor and City Council on the needs, concerns, accomplishments and contributions of the Hispanic community, as well as the impact of legislation and its effect on the Hispanic community. “

The boldface is mine, to note that 5 years had passed before the Mayor’s office took any action and now 3years later something similar is being offered.

The question is; do we need another Committee/Commission for functions that are supposedly already provided for by Ordinance?

4 comments:

  1. No we do not. We need someone who is a leader. Creating all these commissions is divisive.

    How about a "Plainfield Citizens Who Monitor Ridiculous Actions by the City Council" Commission.
    The purpose would be to publicize the stupid actions of the council - like voting for the budget and not knowing what they voted for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robinson-Briggs, Balkanizer-in-chief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur. So much time is wasted on nonsense. Plainfield is the laughing stock of Union County. We pay the highest taxes for the lowest property values and the dumbest political representation. FYI I want to thank all the bloggers who are diligent in exposing the malfeasance that plague this City. Thank you Old Doc, Bernice & Dan. We need and appreciate you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll gladly serve as a member of the PCWMRACC--if the existing members don't disapprove!

    ReplyDelete