Monday, August 12, 2013

BRIEF IRST REPORT on COUNCIL MEETING



 
Special Primary for Senator Today
Vote!
 No surprises; as expected the Council by a 5; 2 vote decided not to put any of the Mayor’s appointment recommendations on the agenda. Although Brown and Greaves supported her I am sure the Mayor did not imagine that the Councilors would vote for any of them.

All the requests for street closures and use of the parking lots will be on Monday’s Agenda.  During the Public Comment Session at the end of the meeting the owner of the Acme Window Co. On Somerset St. complained that the recent 3 day “fair” had  resulted in not only a complete loss of business, but there was excessive drinking at the Somerset St end of the Lot. He also commented on the fact that he and his neighboring merchants had to clean up the area before they could open. There was pollution of the brook. Another merchant confirmed those complaints.

Yesterday I wrote referring to the “celebration events”; “I have no problem with these if they do not mask a commercial enterprise. I do not feel it is proper to close any main traffic street for any period of time depriving merchants of free access by customers.” I hope that the Council will take heed of the merchant’s report.

It sometimes seems that the driving forces behind these approvals is politically motivated coated with remarks how great these are for the city.

I had expressed some concern about the two events sponsored by Churches cautiously stating that they may be skirting the separation of church and state doctrine. Corporation Counsel Minchello informed me that he had researched case documentation and found that there were rulings that the use by religious organizations for religious purposes did not violate that doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment