Today's (8/5/13) Courier is a good example of why non-metropolitan news papers are becoming extinct.
The Front page news Story about Tuesday's "National Night Out" continues on the 2nd page listing various communities planned celebration.
Not only is Plainfield's reported in one of the shortest paragraphs; but only the Johny-come- lately even unpublicised on the City site is noted.
This event was planned when the city gave no indication that there would be anything official in the city. I was under the impression that Freeholder Chairperson Linda Carter for years one of the proponents of this annual event had acknowledge this celebration.
Why should or would anyone in Plainfield subscribe to a paper that treats Plainfield with disdain?
Dr. Yood, the event listed is the city-sponsored National Night Out, not the NAACP event, which was held Sunday night.
ReplyDeleteIf you click on the link, the entire flyer comes up on the city web site.
I don't think the Courier intended to slight the FOSH/Netherwood folks. These listings are usually done based on what is provided to the newspaper by municipalities. I know the FOSH/Netherwood event was publicized on Facebook, I don't know whether a press release went to the Courier.
Bernice, one again I am in your debt for calling attention to an error.I had noticed about 11:30 am that I had confused he Sunday night 'vigil" with the city's "Night Out" but seem to have been distracted from making the correction.My apologies to anyone upset by my Boo-boo.
ReplyDeleteHi Doc, Bernice is correct in that the FOSH/Netherwood Neighbors NNO event was posted on our Netherwood Heights Neighbors Facebook page. Additionally, it has been on our Netherwood Heights Neighbors website, was sent out in more than one email blast to people who have signed up to receive information from FOSH and Netherwood Heights Neighbors, and has been tweeted, too.
ReplyDeleteNetherwood Heights Neighbors block captains delivered flyers to 300 homes, and FOSH helped get the word out to other bordering neighbor groups as well. And thanks to Plainfield's bloggers, our event has been written up more than once. Our City Council members were personally invited, and the City was informed of our intent to have this take place, too.
Speaking on behalf of Netherwood Heights Neighbors, we encourage anyone to sign up for our email list. We periodically send out updates on city and social events.
We hope to see you at our National Night Out event tonight at Leland Park at 6:30.
Thank you,
Jenn Popper
President
Netherwood Heights Neighbors
www.netherwoodheights.com/
www.facebook.com/NetherwoodHeights
www.twitter.com/NetherwoodN
pinterest.com/netherwoodhn/
As I noted on one of the other blogs regarding National Night Out: After 8 YEARS of doing this, the mayor's habitual neglect for rules, regulations, etc., is once again on display. To wit, she did not submit a request to the governing body for a street closure, which needs city council approval. At this point, though, I guess no one cares.
ReplyDeleteRebecca