Tuesday, August 27, 2013

JUST A COMMENT



In a comment to today’s blog “A POOR REPORT” which I hope you have already read; Anon 7:16AM wrote;” I believe council president rivers said that a council member wanted to change her vote on 8/19 so the resolution was placed on the special meeting agenda”

Rather than replying directly to the posted comment I believe there is an issue here that is important enough to merit greater exposure. The issue is of course one of the fundamental failures of Plainfield Councils; the lack of understanding how to act as a governing body.

I cannot remember if on 8/19/13 after the voting was concluded and before the meeting ended any Councilor expressed a desire to change their vote on the Garcia resolution. I sincerely doubt that either Storch or Williams would have changed their vote to Yea which would have passed that resolution.

There are similar Parliamentary Procedures in both leading bibles; “Robert’s” and “Sturgis”. After a motion (resolution in this case) has been voted on at any time before adjournment any member of the group can move for reconsideration of that motion irrespective of the results of the original vote.

After seconding this motion is treated like any other motion and it takes just a simple majority as determined by the organizations rules to bring the original motion up for discussion and revote.

Once the meeting has ended the results stand and cannot be altered.

Rivers was not present at that meeting and the acting presiding officer, Greaves, seemed confused about procedures and the powers of the office.

This was evident not in the Garcia vote but in the discussion after Corporation Counsel Minchello had pointed out that the defeat of the layoff plan had placed the City in an embarrassing illegal situation since they had already adopted the budget.  

There was much talk then about not understanding what the results of the budget resolution meant, but there was no motion to reconsider that resolution instead a vote was taken to reconsider the layoff resolution which failed.

If this is confusing that is because many times actions at an OZ Council meeting are bewildering.
As to the Garcia Resolution on the Special Meeting Agenda; the Council President Rivers has the right to place any business she wishes on a meeting agenda before it is posted. She needs no explanation.

I believe that as written the Resolution which I did not see only the explanation on the agenda sheet had to have a resolve negating the 8/19 action. If it does not perhaps it is illegal.
 
The bottom line is that all Councilors should read and understand what they are voting upon and especially those in leadership roles should know how to conduct a meeting

5 comments:

  1. Exactly my point. See my comment about Ms. Greaves on Bernice's blog. Thanks for being there Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been saying that about Greaves forever. She always seems unprepared, never taking the time to go to her colleagues to get an understanding of what is on the agenda.

    And, I resent her cavalier attitude toward spending money. I want her to say that she has paid her property taxes, since the records do not seem to bear it out that she has paid them. If she has not, it's no wonder she spends the city's money. She has no stake in it. Great example - don't you think?

    ReplyDelete