Thursday, February 17, 2011

MORE ABOUIT ASPHALT

 An additional note on asphalt repavement.. In the past few years I have oblected to the starting of a road repavement job after Nov.1 due to temperature problems. I had mentioned  not lower than the mid40s average temp should be the croteria. One Councikman informed me that his consultants  had stated that until their was permafrost in the ground was OK.

Who am I, to question one of our distinguished city fathers? However Thursday's Courier quotes a Rutgers professor as saying the 45% is the bottom level. I think we were lucky to finish the Watchung Ave  section this year in the first week of December. I still am concerned  about the bonding between the different  strips of pavement, and in places the surface gives an impression of roughness which would suggest integrity of surface.

For the readers convenience, here is the link to the documents  from the State of Wisconsin on asphalt pavements:  http://epdfiles.engr.wisc.edu/pdf_web_files/tic/manuals/Asphalt-PASER_02.pdf  Read it.

1 comment:

  1. These roads are so bad that I think if you had
    Pierre-Marie-Jérôme Trésaguet, Thomas Telford,John Loudon McAdam and a large well equipped crew, we would still be in trouble trying to repair the roads! The politicians won't get out of the way!

    ReplyDelete