Ms. Hernandez wrote in response to an anonymous readers comments posted on that blog
"If you knew what you even thought you knew then you would know that the budget is not released until AFTER Christie does what he needs to do. Then the BOE can discuss the budget "ACTUALS" but for right now we are discussing a projected financial picture which we are OBLIGATED to release to the public."
The State has to release the amount of money available to the district this week. Likewise the County contribution also must be known. The City's contribution can be interpolated through a 2.5% increase into the local tax. Mentioned has been made that there is the possibility for the granting of an exemption to limits of the tax increase. But, by then the Council will be presented with a real budget which by past experience seems immune from any Council action.
I thought that I now understood the PSD/BOA's budget process. They have to prepare a document of anticipated expenditures which will be modified to become part of a balanced budget when the all three of the major sources of available anticipated revenues become known. The major portion from the State should be released this week.
But then I again became confused, Maria Pellum in the comments in her blog asked: "Does this means that the district doesn't actually plan a budget in advance and then adjust to the realities handed out by the Governor's office? Please, it will be appreciated it if you can enlighten us how the district plans the budget. Thanks. "
I thought that was my own interpretation since any "Budget" has to balance expenditures against income. Without both elements it can not be a budget. However, words can have a different meaning to various people. The BOE may consider the posted document a "budget draft" based on known facts.
For this was part of the next comment "RASRAHMATAZ said. "No Maria that isn't even close to what I said. "
I make no promises, but if the weather is good, and my old bones aren't aching, and if my Wahoos are not playing their losing style of Basketball that night and I feel that I am able to tolerate another Plainfield policy meeting, I will try to make the next BOE meeting when the matter will be explained and all questions we are promised will be cleared up. That includes what twisted bureaucracy obligates (mandates) a BOE to release a projected expenditure document before a true budget can be presented.
Dear Doc,
ReplyDeleteDid I confused you? Sorry if I did! The "superintendent's proposed budget" is that, a proposal of what she/he thinks will be needed by the district to operate the way she/he thinks is best. Some districts do a pretty good job with their proposed budgets as it becomes the basis for community and school leaders discussion on what priorities the community has when it comes to educating the children. I will let you decide if Plainfield is presenting their proposed budget in an efficient and transparent manner.
Best Regards.
Maria, no you did not confuse me. I consider the so called 'Final Budget Phase One" as a wish list only The Real expenditures portion of the budget will have to matched with available revenues.
ReplyDeleteAs far as I can determine, you are the only citizen's advocate to the BOE meetings. Keep up your crusade.
Happy Birthday Doc!
ReplyDeleteRead Ras's commentaries to the previous blog posting
ReplyDelete