Friday's/Saturday's blog apparently did not raise as much questions from those that I thought would disagree with me. However, I would attempt to clarify some of the points that I was trying to make. One of course was that I was not fixating on the School District. but happened to use the Teacher's Contract settlement and to a lesser extent the specialized schools as an example. But more of that later.
We have to take into account the total costs of running governments and especially the local one. Although the PSD budget is 3 times as large as the city's; 79% of its revenue is from the State and 6% from the Feds and 16% from local taxes., that 16% makes up nearly 48% of our budget. so it does have a significant impact.,
Historically societies and even civilizations fall due to economic unrest. Today we are seeing popular people uprisings in the Arab world. It is not because the people want Democracy but the masses have finally reached a critical point where their poverty is forcing the revolution against the rich Oligarchy that rules with an iron hand. It was economic collapse of the Soviet Union precipitated by the Afghanistan War and the Cold War that enabled the Eastern European Nations and the Muslim Soviets to break free of the Communist rule.
The same forces precipitated the French Revolution. The peasants had neither bread or cake.
We could follow a similar trail to a complete change in social structure if we continue to spend more than we have or eliminate one by one our essential services in an effort to prevent bankruptcy. The Wisconsin turmoil is symptomatic.
This is why I have decried the raises in the Teacher's new contract (more in another blog) and have written that we must prioritize what we can afford to maintain a functioning community that will be a welcome home for its population. It may be as a cost saving measure that relying on an increased number part time workers with the savings from perks instead of full time employees may be one route. Another is foregoing contracted raises. Another is increasing worker's contributions to health care and pension plans. Think about it.
I was going to clarify my remarks about the school system and the Barack Obama Academy as well as PAAAS. but this blog is already too long. However BOE member Hernandez in her personal blog which you should all read took exception to my comment that Barack Obama Academy was for problem children.
I would refer you to the following document form the US Department of Education although it is 8 years old http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/2002004.pdf and this is the first paragraph from its Executive Summary: "Concern among the public, educators, and policymakers about violence, weapons, and drugs on elementary and secondary school campuses, balanced with concern about sending disruptive and potentially dangerous students “out on the streets,” has spawned an increased interest in alternative schools and programs (U.S.Department of Education 1996). Many students who, for one reason or another, are not succeeding in regular public schools are being sent to alternative placements. In general,
students are referred to alternative schools and programs if they are at risk of education failure, as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior,suspension, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with early withdrawal from school"
(Bold face mine.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
‘Today we are seeing popular people uprisings in the Arab world. It is not because the people want Democracy but the masses have finally reached a critical point where their poverty is forcing the revolution against the rich Oligarchy that rules with an iron hand… The same forces precipitated the French Revolution. The peasants had neither bread nor cake. …
ReplyDeleteWe could follow a similar trail to a complete change in social structure if we continue to spend more than we have or eliminate one by one our essential services in an effort to prevent bankruptcy. The Wisconsin turmoil is symptomatic.
This is why I have decried the raises in the Teacher's new contract …’
Old Doc, the teachers are not ‘the rich Oligarchy that rules with an iron hand. Your attempt to concatenate them is where I disagree. Historically, teachers, crafts people, fraternal organization, small business people and the like have been the shock troops of democracy. All the public workers could work for free and the financial problems we face will still be there.
Yes we are in the process of developing ‘the rich Oligarchy that rules with an iron hand’. In the 1950’s the average CEO’s salary was 50 times that of the average worker, today it is 500 times. There has been a rapid transference of wealth from the bottom 98% of the population to the top 2% of the population. Why aren’t you apoplectic about the shenanigans of Goldman Sachs, AIG, Chase Bank, Morgan Stanley, etc. who along with the Greenspan created real estate bubble and the Bush era tax cuts created this crisis that we are paying for. After all they are ‘the rich Oligarchy that rules with an iron hand….’
Nat; you overlook the key paragraph "We could follow a similar trail to a complete change in social structure if we continue to spend more than we have or eliminate one by one our essential services in an effort to prevent bankruptcy. The Wisconsin turmoil is symptomatic.: I did not accuse the teachers of being members of an oligarchy.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand they are part of the gfroup of unionized civic employees who have the advantage of either civil service protection or in the teachers case "tenure" plus retirement plans that should be the envy of all self employed or workers. One of these days I will opine.
AS to the CEO's salary and perks the are obscene. No man is worth what these characters receive. What we can do about that I don't know. Perhaps some non compromised politicians can come up with restrictive laws.
The WI turmoil is a public shame! Teachers making a salary from $89,000 to $100,000 for nine months work illegally striking. You see on the news how they have doctors going through the crowd giving fake medical excuses to the BUMS so that they won't get disiplined. They need to be docked pay, fined and some of them fired!
ReplyDeleteA great deal of that money went to Democratic supporters and contributors! Acorn and the Unions as well as, Green Gore got a huge loan to build hybrid cars in Norway! He was worth $2 million several years ago , he is worth billions now!
Nat, Do not forget that the laws that opened up the high risk mortgage policies of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were passed in the CLINTON presidency. Don't blame Bush for all our bad financial policies. That is JG tactic.
ReplyDeleteActually, what I propounded was Barack Obama is NOT a rehabilitation school for problem children – as YOU so erroneously stated.
ReplyDeleteIt is (that is to say Barack Obama Academy is) an alternative educational program for students who require differentiated learning i.e. smaller class sizes, remediation and yes some socially-geared supportive services.
That 8 year old illusory definition you chose to provide does not militate your lack of awareness of what population Barack Obama serves or why. I’m speaking specifically about Barack Obama as that is the school you called out. If you want to talk about a school that fits the purpose of the executive summary you highlight – then do that. Barack is not it.
The fact that many of Barack students “CHOOSE” to go to this school further substantiates its value and effectiveness. Would you believe there is a waiting list???!!
So as you boldfaced a few key terms – please keep them in mind…
“Many students who, for one reason or another, are not succeeding in regular public schools are being sent to alternative placements.
In general, …”
It is important to note that nowhere is the word Rehabilitation or Problem Child used.
Did you know some of our students work full time to support their family thus a compressed class schedule and flexible pedagogy, only offered via an alternative school setting, allows them to meet their unique familial needs while still obtaining an education and ultimately a High School diploma?
So Doc – the point is – that alternative school platforms are designed to meet the needs of an ever changing population of youth who don’t fit within the confines of a traditional high school.
They are neither BETTER nor WORSE…they simply are a necessity!
That is my point.
Ras, Your last paragraph is crucial :"that alternative school platforms are designed to meet the needs of an ever changing population of youth who don’t fit within the confines of a traditional high school."
ReplyDeleteWe are talking semantics; "problem children" fits well into that scenario.Yes, Rehabilitation" is my term because whatever the reason for attending the alternate school we are attempting to bring souls that might be lost to society back into the main stream. I do not decry the need for an "alternate educational facility" only questioned was where we getting the best value for our dollar. You as a BOE member and as a known student's advocate seem convinced that it is so. I hope so.
A rose is a rose is a rose . . .
ReplyDeleteLet's face it, most of these children can not make it in the traditional public school system, they need extra help and supervision.
There is a waiting list because many parents are at wits end as to what to do!
I like her inference that there are no winners and no losers, everyone is the same!
When did they start naming things after famous people who aren't dead? That is in bad taste!
Gotcha Doc. You and I most often disagree about the words you choose to describe folk/situations. To Rehab something means you change "it" and alternative schooling says we change "us" so that "they" (today's youth and all of their circumstances) can be served effectively. And I guess we have to agree to disagree -- that they are problem children. I see them as youth who may have problems; that's a big difference. One sees them as needing to be fixed...the other see them as one needing to be equipped; I being the latter.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm not convinced by my own words, but that of the students who have come to board meetings and expressed their excitement and enthusiam about this school.
There is a student school board liaison from Barack who gives a report regarding the state of the school as a representative of that student body -- so I'm taking her word for it.
It is the STUDENTS who are opting to attend the alternative high school not their parents, but how do I expect you to know that given you simply look to contend against anything I might say. LOL...It's cute.
ReplyDeleteAnd Wow -- how did we begin this slippery slope climb to the winners vs. losers analogy. All in the name and need to classify folks for your own comfort and biases. Dear God help us!
We the under 50 have learned a very valuable lesson from the more senior generations --- we prefer to SMELL our ROSES before we die.
...And to trade in that awefully goopy Dippy Do for some Let's Jamm!
You may continue as you were...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what you mean Doc. My comment was direct to Blackdog who obviously was addressing something I said. Some I'm curious what you felt was out of line?
ReplyDeleteRas,clarification accepted. I do limit comments that get too out of line.
ReplyDeleteBlackdog, I appreciate your concurring with my thoughts, but I am not posting your last commentary since I can not tolerate a non ending war of words. I trust you understand.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing, lots of people wondering what going on. But the guy from FFT or http://www.forecastfortomorrow.com was talking about this amazingly many moons ago.
ReplyDeletehe called the stockmarket crash back in 2008 and the economic collapse many years ago. It is intrseting to see what he is saying now. Go check him out.