Friday, February 11, 2011

AN ELUCIDATION

One of my medical school classmates after WWII became an "Old Time Country Doctor" I believe in Ohio. He loved to hunt and fish and to be "one of the boys". One of his advocations was to write a column for the local weekly paper.

I was envious of him for one of my secret desires was to write, even pro bono, a weekly column for the Courier. But the thought of meeting a deadline was a killer. Therefore I compromised by writing frequent and long letters to the editor during the 60s-80s and all were published.

I may not have been able to spell, but from early days I had the ability to throw the bull. During my college years I achieved a highlight in an exam for a course in 17th Century European History.

The exam consisted of five essay questions. During the usual immediate post exam student confab I was told by all that each of my answers was completely different even contrary from the course instructor's presentations. When the grades were posted instead of failing I received a grade of 100%. I have never been sure if it was because that professor liked original thought, or he was just impressed with my flight of fancy.

Is it possible that this explains my rational for this blog. There is also my desire to share my experiences with those less fortunate to have the ability to travel. Egypt, Iran, India, Afghanistan, were unknown worlds to most Americans in the 60s and 70s. Jet travel was just making the world a common entity. When I first started posting I devoted many blogs to photographs from our extensive travels abroad.

One of these days when local, national , and world affairs do not demand, for what it is worth, my need to opine, I shall go back to the old discs and resurrect some of those old pictures,

Meantime, I expect to write and post something that most likely will be controversal later today, but I consider to be important in our political, social, civic life. But don't hold your breath for it may have to wait while I try to not make it sound offensive. It will be a genralized philosphical subject not intended to be personal although names will be mentioned.

As a token; two JAMA covers in its never ending art course

The Birch Grove (Ludwig Gill 1900)
and
Nude in a Woods (Matise 1906)

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very valuable to the current community in my opinion because of your long view of the city and your ability to call it as you see it regarding the antics of today's decision makers. Of course your travels and experiences provide unique context for the rest of us. Keep blogging! We need you!

    ReplyDelete