Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PET PEEVES

To "Anonymous “A�" Your comment sent to "Americas Coming of Age" is not relevant to the subject of the blog. I will remind you that I have remarked about the BOE several times but I have not the time to attend their meetings. I also will not get into a discussion about the political affiliations of the board members. The idea of an elected board was to divorce it from politics which is inherent in a Mayor appointed board. Theory and action are two different facts.

If you wish to use my blog or others to make a political or personal attack please identify yourself by name and with an email address so that we can contact you if needed. Anonymity is synonymous with cowardice, and is well served in the newspaper forums.

I don't know how many people noticed that Caroline Kennedy during her recent press conferences used the term "you know" interspersed into her reply to every question. I am accustomed to hear this from athletes and others who have short circuited their education for other endeavors, and are not comfortable speaking in public. Certainly such grammar is not the mark of a Senator.

While I am on the subject of fractured English, I find Al Rokar's use of "we have got" irritating. He has been imitated by a group of lesser weather reporters. We have is sufficient. "Got" is pp of the verb "get" which means obtain or possess. In other words if you "have" you already "got" or if you "got" you "have" thus the combination is redundant.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute Doc. And let me remind you; this is a BLOG. NOT a formal arena of/for writing. An email in case I need to be contacted? That defeats the whole purpose of anonymity.. Need to be contacted? Since when is this forum a policing agent. No, I will, along with others, continue to post ANONYMOUSLY, broken, catered English included with sprinkles, hints, and dashes of gramatical errors and syntax mishaps.

    The spirit of BLOGGING Doc.. I dont mean to burst your bubble.. but it is just that.. a B-L-O-G.

    Have a blessed New Year, and keep writing!

    "Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am giving “A†the thrill of having something he wrote posted.

    Apparently there is no comprehension that if he had a valid political or other point to make he would not hide out of fear behind "Anonymous'.

    Anyone with the least bit of common sense would know that this Blog (without the dashes) as is most of the others, is not a forum for malcontents to expound.

    All bloggers have a known identity, and find gratification in using this media to express their 1st Amendment rights.

    Yes opinions can be expressed anonymously, but that does not permit the writer to indulge in slander or libel. Anonymity can and should be used if there is a fear of repercussions. However irrespective of the subject of a particular posting. this individual as "Anonymous" is sending identical comments to all the local blogs. It is as I wrote "synonymous with cowardice", which is well (better) served in the newspaper forums.

    A Blog reflects an individual's
    concerns. Mine is stated as"An octogenarian's vehicle to expound at nonspecific intervals on his opinions regarding politics-local to international, health care, life,society,and perhaps religion plus periodic vignettes about Plainfield N.J." I will add "to share with all photographs that I enjoy".

    ReplyDelete