This is my 2008 commentary about the Plainfield bloggers .
Both Bernice and Dan on their blogs are recounting in their distinctive styles the years 10 most significant stories relating to our Plainfield.
Bernice as usual is the consummate newspaper feature writer. She assembles her facts and intersperses pertinent questions that still need answers. Above all, one must read the many comments to each entry.
Dan also points out the problems referred to in his 10 most important stories. Unlike a reporters supposedly unbiased writings, Dan can be more politically yet accurately influenced. To the best of my knowledge, Dan does verify his facts and does not indulge in rumors or vindictive comments. However, he more than any other Plainfield blogger has been the focus of nasty political oriented attacks by Jerry Green's defenders.
Marie has been the watchdog for the school system and ethnic relationships as well as the city's appearance. There was a void when other commitments caused her to omit her frequent postings. To all of our relief she is back.
Councilmen Storch and Burney have been most valuable additions to the scene with their comments on local issues. Councilor Burney has most often posted items that should have been made available on the City's site. I welcome his sharing with us his excellent pictures.
Even Assemblyman Green has joined the ranks. The focus of his blog is still vague. He vacillates from a SMA presentation to just simple press releases. Since anything he posts that is not a press releases is of such unique content it is most welcome. I marvel as a blogger, how he can find the time form his load of official and personal duties can find the time to write even one paragraph.
As to this blog, it has been fun and time consuming to write. As the name implies it can be varied and not focused on any particular subject. AS I go through my almost 2000 slides and later on photographs from the last 60 years in an attempt to transfer them to electronic media, I would hope that readers would not object to my sharing ones I find interesting on my blog. I will also try to write some personal remembrances especially those of our city as well as commentaries on local, national and worldwide subjects. After all no one has to read it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am new to reading your blogs but would love to see some of your pictures of Plainfield over the past 60 years. I grew up in Plainfield, moving there in late fall 1944 as a very young child. I lived at 917 Watchumg Ave. until 1952 when I moved to 1210 Moffett Avenue (street right behind the Hospital). I have many fond memories of growing up in Plainfield, walking to the Front Street Department stores and all the small stores in between. On of the best members was to see the Christmas displays of lights in Sleepy Hollow and especially the reindeer and Santa Claus on the Watchur=hg Ave. house belonging to Mr. Stender who owned the Park Hotel. I can still taste the brownies and orange cake that Stires sold on Park Ave. near 7th street. Please post pictures!
ReplyDeleteDorrie Johnson
Southbury, Ct.
Dorrie, I would like to accommodate your wishes for pictures of the Plainfield that you knew. However I have very few and have posted most of them in the past. There are sites that do have some. I would sugest that you get a copy of John Grady & Dorothe Pollard's recently published "PLAINFIELD. NEW JERSEY'S HISTORY AND ARCHITECURE".There is an excellent collection of old Plainfield pictures but probably of aaaaaaaaaan era earlier than you are interested.
ReplyDelete