Sunday, December 14, 2008

"NAYSAYING"

“NAYSAYERS”, seems to be a favored word of our local politicos. JG is constantly using it by innuendo to demean all who dare to criticize his actions.


Councilman Burney, apparently also considers anybody who expresses any negative opinions relating in any manner to President-elect Obama, or objecting to his own Council agenda as a “naysayer”. This seems to have become the ultimate derogatory word, replacing more common vulgarity expressions, but intended to discredit those that do not accept 100% his plans.


On Dec11 Burney wrote: From the beginning, Obama's message was one of change. We have to change not only the party in Washington, but Washington itself. Many before had promised change. Trouble was that it was usually the politician who was changed once they got to DC. Just look at George W. Bush's promise of bi-partisanship when he was running in 2000.”--------------Yet today, people today are criticizing the team he has put together. "Same old people" they say. "Where is the change?" the naysayers are quick to say. They continue to fail to see what the majority of the country clearly sees. That Obama will be the President and the President sets the agenda. He needs qualified and experienced people in DC to get his agenda through. And it will be his agenda that everyone will be pushing. It will be his goals and promises on the campaign trail that they will work towards. ------Change will come to America. Many will be uncomfortable, too vested in current ways. Much resistance will be put up, and we will hear words like "we just don't know enough about the plan right now" and "never been done before" and the classic line of status-quo: "we need to study this more".


Perhaps I am one of those despicable “naysayers”. I have been very critical of the Assemblyman’s handling of the Muhlenberg closing. I do not feel that he and our other state legislators tried strongly enough to buck Trenton’s bureaucracy in an attempt to save Plainfield’s hospital.


Yes I have written concerns that Obama’s administration is being overloaded with Clintonites. At the same time I expressed my hope and confidence that there will be a positive change from the egotism of the Cheney/Bush executive.


I wrote ON Nov 22:OBAMA WATCH: Despite the fact that the selection of his incoming leaders reflects a return to the Clinton Washington of old and new a true change, he has chosen wisely with perhaps, to me. One exception.--Obama is avoiding Carter's mistake of surrounding himself with people who had no concept of Washington and National politics. He continues to impress me as a very astute politician and certainly seems on the right road restore economic and social confidence in the United States. If his adviser's input is not too radical to create resistance, I hope Congress will not go off the deep end with their own, and to date destructive, agendas. ----My exception is of course, Hilary as Secretary of State.


On Nov. 23 I suggested that people should listen to a rebroadcast or read Obama’s reply to Bush’s weekly radio address.


And from my Dec. 5, blog; Tempering hope: Obama seems to be approaching his Presidency well prepared with strong personalities in critical positions. I have no problem with most of his choices except on close examination we are returning to an extension of the Clinton era. -------So much for campaign promises of clean sweep from the Washington politics of today. I supposed that means that there will be few carryovers in the grunt jobs from the Republican years. The political sacrifice of well functioning agency workers could be acceptable but regret able if it were not for the fact that patronage may apparently be going on full blast. To the victor belong the spoils. The danger is that any economy recovery will be short circuited by personal agendas.

Councilor Burney, I did not bash Obama, I expressed my concern that from a disastrous self-centered administration we might be going back to the morally corrupt, I did not have”, “Whitewater” Clinton White House.


I know you have been Plainfield’s strongest most verbal advocate for Obama from the start of his campaign, not a late comer. However don’t cast him as the 21st century Messiah. He like today’s discredited Illinois Governor is the product of the same Chicago Democrat machine. There are questions which state’s politics, New Jersey or Illinois, is more corrupt.


A comforting precedent is Harry Truman, a product of the Kansas City Prendergast machine who became one of our greatest. Presidents. Obama not only has a similar opportunity, but represents another monument of America coming to racial maturity. Would that not also be true of all ethnic and religious diverse problems.


Since this already is too long I intend on Monday to address my “naysaying” your council meeting proposal, which I would presume is a beforehand “done fact” . I hope also to comment on Harold Gibson’s letter and the overall interaction of the Council and public at the same time.


One supportative point, this is from the lead article in today's LA Times. Congress itself will be the biggest "Naysayer" and has the power to prevent Obama from being effective. The did that to Carter, Obama is wiser and is selecting tried and true Washingtonians. He has proven time and time again that he is a smart capable politian. That in itself will not make him a great President, but it helps.


NEWS ANALYSIS

Obama may bring change, but Congress will be the same

A larger Democratic majority is unlikely to change the political nature of the House and Senate, which have just concluded a typically unimpressive year.
By Janet Hook
December 14, 2008
Reporting from Washington -- The collapse of legislation to bail out the U.S. auto industry is a fitting end to this year in Congress -- and a warning to President-elect Barack Obama that even larger Democratic majorities next year won't guarantee smooth sailing for his ambitious agenda on economics and other issues.

Polarized, beset by crises, and preoccupied with ideological and regional politics, this Congress followed a pattern all too familiar in the past decade. It railed and wrangled over the nation's toughest problems, but in the end failed to advance solutions.-----(see article)





No comments:

Post a Comment