In yesterday's "CLIPS" Dan in mentioning my blog's reference to the University of Virginia's Honor System wrote; "what a concept!". I would hope that the reference was not cynical. Unfortunately in today's hedonistic society honesty is a mysterious word. Too many search for every subtle or in some cases gross methods to beat the system.
No element of society is free of large numbers of individuals who believe that being honest is only for the nerd. Today alone several scandals are in the news.The number of retirees of the Long Island Railroad accepting disability is far-far-above reasonable statistical average. The doctors who certified their disability did not act honestly. The executives of UMDNJ had made it a personal bonanza for their and their friends finances. The US Senator from Alaska has been found guilty of lying about gifts and free services he accepted. The mayor of a New Jersey town and his wife have been found to have accepted "kickbacks". School Boards create new job titles and remove the old ones, often with no change in descriptions, to reward the faithful with large increases in salary. The list goes on and on.
If we accept even the smallest degree of dishonesty in our daily life as the norm, it is natural that we be sceptical that a society , even a small college one, based on honesty can be practical.
There are many colleges and the military academies that have an Honor System. Some vary in the magnitude of coverage, others in the degree of punishment. I know of no other one as draconian as UVA's in its all or nothing philosophy. If you are guilty of even a minor infraction dismissal from the University is automatic. Yes the individual is allowed to resign and under all circumstances except conviction of criminal action the record is blank.
Virginia's system worked from years before WWI and even if the schools size has increased 8 fold from pre-war years, is still working, although slightly modified and more democratic in its application. Key athletes from football and basketball have suddenly left for "personal reasons".
There have been several credos that have motivated my life. Honesty perse is one of them. I would never sign a false claim or excuse for a patient even at the risk of losing that patient. I would say to them that "if I lied on this claim, how could you trust me to be honest with you?" I did not add 'to be honest with myself I have to be honest with you"'
There is another credo which at the editor's request I expressed as part of my bio in "Who's Who in America"; “Enjoyment in my profession, pleasure in relationships with patients, a belief in the necessity for civic and community volunteer involvement, a commitment to support causes that aid the unfortunate and do no harm to individuals”.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us could have a similar commitment plus being above prejudice and bias towards others. It is about time.
Before anyone becomes a disciple please be advised that I do not walk on water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment