This was being in the process of being written for Wednesday when it appears that the infamous cyberworld terrorist or my cat hit a key and published it. I have done some proof reading and found some errors but also had no more to add. So if you didn't read it here it is again.
No I have not firmly committed myself for the next President. Note I did not say to vote for but the next President.
Diatribes such as Councilman Burney's in the Sunday Courier News have no impact. Repetitions of half truths and false accusations are obnoxious at best. When compounded by a media blitz made possible by an overwhelming financial advantage has a negative effect upon this voter.
Does Councilman Burney think that Obama as a product of the Chicago Machine political milieu is without taint? This is the machine that produced enough cemetery last minute votes to give JFK the needed Illinois electoral votes. The only difference is this is the next generation.
My gut feeling is that McCain would make a better President than Obama. I hate on job training in critical positions.
There is a problem, The president is not an "Island Unto Himself". His close advisers should be scrutinized as thoroughly as himself. As I* have said before McCain seems to have re embraced the dangerous ultra right that has seized control of sufficient portions of the Republican Party. His political obligations to that group will prevent him from initially being a complete "change". I think in time he will be able to disassociate himself from that wing.
Therefore I was happy to read about the reasoning that produced Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama. This comes from a man who not only should have been the Presidential Candidate, but has better credentials than Obama. Powell's concerns reflect mine and I am convinced that unlike others he is not influenced by race.
To go back to my "next President" remark. With two weeks left in the race, unless Obama's supporters commit a major gaffe, there is no way that McCain can overcome the economy curse. With a veto proof majority Congress, which had done nothing constructive this past two years, perhaps he will be given the opportunity for a constructive domestic policy. I hope he does not become captive to the Congressional Leaders.
Even with Biden to fall back upon I am worried about reactions to that infamous 3 AM phone call.
Once again we have a great opportunity to be both the actors in history and the viewers. Lets make the best of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Doc,
ReplyDeleteSave this blog, because you are going to eat your words.. Sorry if that comes across as disrespectful, that is the last thing i want to do, but i am being frank. Sen. Obama is more intelligent, collective, and open to REASON, wherein McCain is not, has a temper problem, and would PUSH to VAPORIZE a problem in the 3am phone call circumstance..
McCain's TRUE colors are being shown in these final weeks of campaigning.. anyone can see the lack of STRATEGY and POLITICAL SOUNDNESS that the McCain camp is violently pursuing.
My prayer is that whomever is elected into the Presidency, that they would be consistent in ASSERTIVE DEMOCRACY.. and thus far, as the nation is seeing and is in agreement, with Sen. Obama having about 262 of the projected electoral votes, with McCain only having about 163, America is moving in the right direction..
I pray we as a nation continue to heed to the truth, and vote Senator Barack Obama President of the United States
Doc,
ReplyDeleteSen Obama may be "intelligent, collective and open to reason," but for one to imply that McCain is not denies that millions of voters belive he is. This is the rub. The previous responder implies the electorate votes with rationality and intellectual thought. Though millions do millions do not. For them and for many in Plainfield, it is identity politics such as - party affilations and race. It is easier not to think about the issues. That's why this may be a close race. An Obama win will be a "tipping point" in American politics. Are we ready for it?
To anonymous,Too bad I can't merge this post with my reply to semperfi.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, I think McCain is the right man at the wrong time for him.I truly hope that the country will accept Obama as President.The nation embraced Kennedy although religion was an issue and fear of the Catholic Church. We have come a long way since then in civil rights and racial relations.
I just fear that there can be a backlash because of the economy. There can be no blame based on religion or ethnic or racial considerations.
It will up to each and everyone of us to make sure that there be no injustices.
to anonymous,
ReplyDeletei do not imply that Senator Obama is such, I openly say he is. And yes, in voting for Obama, I disagree with McCain and the 'millions' of voters who agree with him, that is obvious. Just as you my friend, disagree with the MAJORITY of this nation in supporting Senator John McCain. That is what usually happens during the electoral process.
And as a lifelong, PROUD citizen of the city of Plainfield, I say shame on you for your critical and ignorant comment regarding 'identity politics.' You undermind and insult us as voters in saying that we vote blind to issues, but only by race and party lines. You embarass and disgrace your own party beliefs because that is narrow-minded thinking. Shame on you; it is because of people like you, that Obama's ethnicity is of discussion in this Presidency today. Grow up, and grow deeper in your community.
I am having trouble posting this under my own name so it will be as not so anonymous;
ReplyDeleteTo my readers; I apologize for permitting the publishing of the latest comment by "SemperFi".
My blog is not a Star Ledger Forum or a Courier News letters page. I will not permit personality attacks and this last one by SemperFi was accepted in error. I have been unable to delete it'
I welcome and I will continue to post all comments positive or negative to my views. The only acceptable remarks are those about MY WRITINGS. Responses -childish or nasty- to comments by others are not and can not be admissible.THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC FORUM.