Wednesday's night's debate was the best of the three. The format was superior to the other two. The moderator's questions were not slanted. Of course he had the advantage of the Wall Street collapse so he could focus on the economy and to a lesser extent; health care, education, and the right to life issue. Unless I dozed off during the debate, I can not recall the topic of Iraq being an issue.
Granted that the election was decided weeks ago with the large failures in the financial industry, and the disaster in home ownership, these debates will not change the outcome of the election. For two years we will have a Pelosi/Obama government. The Pelosi led portion frightens me as to how socialistic the legislation enacted will be and its long term effect on our economy. Short term could help. If our money is not only spent on entitlements, but used for some of the FDR New Deal programs such as the PWA and the WPA government regulation will be helpful.
However, in health care the Obama promises to reduce costs. That can only be accomplished by;(a) rationing services, (b)restricting accessibility,(c)reducing provider reimbursement, (d) "cookbook" medical treatments, and (e) unfortunately an increased bureaucracy to manage the system.
There must be a better way. McCain's plan offers less dangers to the patient if it were not the fact that the Cignas, Aetnas, Blues etc. have demonstrated that they are interested in their profits at the patients expense. We are really caught between a rock and a hard place.
I thought McCain surpassed Obama this time. If he had campaigned even a month ago that he was not George Bush but represented a true change, he might have had a chance. Unfortunately , he has had an albatross around his neck, the Republican religious right which he had embraced instead of focusing on the Democrat, Independent and Republican centrists.
I have no fear of an Obama Presidency, I do fear as I have stated that a hand in hand legislature and administration can potentially be dangerous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment