Tuesday, October 14, 2008

COURIER NEWS

I didn't find my paper when I looked for it this morning. About 8:30 I called and was connected to a computer that asked four times for my telephone number and could not recognize it. I don't believe that I talk that indistinct, thus the computer must be programed to understand a dialect that differs from the one I have used for almost 90 years. Anyhow the human I talked to had no trouble and told me that the paper was late because the delivery person had not showed up. When I finally received my paper I understood why.

My first impression was that I had a new advertising throwaway. It was weird. Then I read the first truncated page (5 narrower columns) about the new format.

The paper is going to focus on local news. National and perhaps State news will be left to USA Today, the New York and Newark "dailies". The on line edition supposedly will carry more news of that nature. All you have to do is turn on your browser and you might find the site. I still have trouble with the Ledger's on line edition.

Perhaps it is a sad commentary about today's society. WE would rather watch TV news about murders and fires then read substance in print. Or we listen to biased experts on channels that slant the news. We no longer exercise our ability to assimilate and analyze but leave it up to others. We are becoming a nation of sheep. And we are going to intelligently select our leader for the next 4 years in this time of crisis!

No comments:

Post a Comment