OK, why do I have confidence that the Common Council members despite political affiliation will work with whomever is Mayor if it is in the best interests of the city?
After nearly 20 years of Council "auditing" I have found that the 2009 Council to have been one of the best to sit in the Court Room. Some years the Council seems to have been made up of members that would drop their pants if the word came down. Other years there were members that voted negatively often without reason. True even with the worst of the Council there were members that I respected even if I found their agendas to be self serving. But 2009 has been one worthy of the responsibility entrusted upon it.
Yes there are glaring faults, such as the change to one agenda setting and one business meeting a month. Plainfield is not a suburban community, but has real problems that require greater involvement of its elected officials than our surrounding towns.
With two agenda setting sessions a month, time could be allowed for citizen remarks prior to Council discussion on proposed agenda items. At the public comments session at the end of the meetings, the public should be allowed their full 3 minutes and the right to rebut or further question an unsatisfactory answer by a government representative to their comments. As it is too much is now left up in the air or the citizen can be portrayed in an unfavorable light. I agree that the comment session is not license for debate, but there should be latitude for legitimate amplification or clarification questions. These are the great failings of the "Burney Council".
It must be understood that the Council President has tremendous power and can decide what should or should not be on the agenda. He/she can also grant leeway to the public, and still keep the meeting under control.
As to the Councilors, they may disagree with my "take" but so be it. To follow by wards;
1st Ward : William Reid, Although he is an old line dedicated Democrat I have found him to be one of the fairest and most knowledgeable members of the Council. He has been around long enough that he can and will vote his own conscience when necessary. When he speaks it is with purpose and worth listening .
2nd Ward: Cory Storch, An unqualified asset on the Council who does not hesitate to question Administration's proposals before voting. Unfortunately when, as is too common, the answer is not forthcoming but will be delivered later neither he or the responder communicates it to the interest public. He is not afraid to express his stand on various issues. His fault is that the demands of his occupational position may prevent him from having sufficient time to analyze problems facing the city.
3rd Ward: Adrian Mapp, In his previous life as a Councilman I found him to be too pompous in his remarks. I now realize that it is a result of his "British Colonial" education. His concerns for honesty in government has resulted in a personal vendetta by the County and Local party. He will not compromise from what is right just out of pure spitefulness for the "machine". Although he may be politically ambitious, he will act for the city's betterment.
4th Ward: Unknown new to me, but won a race against the party candidate.
1st & 4th Wards; Linda Carter, Along with Storch the senior members of the Council. Although elected in the McWilliams' episode she has often expressed party line. She is one more positive force and very incisive in questioning items before the Council. She will weigh the interest of the City versus a conflicting Party line before voting. If she will be selected Council President in 2010, she too will run a open agenda.
2nd & 3rd Wards; Council President 2009 Rashid Burney, Aside from my comments about his Council in general he has tried to be the advocate of 'transparency in government". He has unfortunately at times in an effort to appear impartial, vacillated over controversial issues which may have a negative impact on any future political aspirations. His commitment to his position's responsibilities is obvious, and I am convinced that he will act in the public interests at all times. It is most likely that he will be selected for another term as Council President.
At Large; Annie McWilliams, Youth ,Intelligence and the ability to question and analyze. What more can we ask for? She has proven that she is "her own man". If only she would speak louder at Council meetings.
Many will not like my impressions on our 2010 Council Members, and each one of them will most likely take umbrage to some of my characterization. However I must emphasise that I strongly believe that their commitment to the city will not permit them act politically , but on issues that are in the best interests of the city to work with whomever is mayor.
I may be wrong but I have no questions about the above six. I am convinced that after this tumultuous year this Council will be stronger in filling its function as the legislative body of city government.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Doc,
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more. I believe that the council is committed to bringing what's best for Plainfield to the city. In my personal experience at council meetings...the friction is typically between the administration and the council...not necessarily between the council members themselves.
"You either lead...follow...or get out of the way". It's a shame that the Mayor and his administration can't or won't get out of the way.
Bo Vastine
When I do not have to work, I am at the council meetings and basically agree with Doc. I hope we do not have to deal with this divisive administration in 2010, and if we do, I hope the council will remain honest and have two meetings a month.
ReplyDeleteDoc, everything you mention is "hope" not fact. Show me anywhere in this country where Democrats and Republican work together. PA and NY (our neighbors) are deadlocked and had to keep passing emergency funding to keep the government working. Even in the current administration it is the same song. Whatever the Demoncrats support, Republican are against.
ReplyDeleteDoc, this comment might be unrelated to this topic, but your help please. I received my leaf and yardwaste notice from the city today and along with it was a one page letter from the mayor. If I am reading this correctly the city is spending 8 million dollars on road improvements and another 409 thousand from the federal stimulus. All roads will be completed by the end of 2009, meaning all of this money will be spent at that time? Can this be true? Perhaps you could do a blog series on what has been spent, what has been accomplished, what is scheduled and what impact this proposed work will have on addressing the awful roads in this town. Since you have chosen, for many reasons, to not support the mayor how much of the lack of progress on roads can be placed at the feet of her administration.
ReplyDelete2:45 Earlier today the road issue was dropped into a "Potpourri " for tomorrow. Only Dashield can answer that question, but Kensington Ave is still not paved. 8th street-2 years to complete. Some small side streets and a section of Watchung. I have't been to Netherwood Ave to see if that job was done.
ReplyDeleteTo 2:40pm - We currently have a Democratic council and mayor. Show me how they are working together.
ReplyDelete@245pm
ReplyDeleteSo are you saying it will be better if we have a republican Mayor. One sure way of uniting Democrats is a common enemy.
To @245pm, NO, I am saying that a Republican Mayor and the Democrat Council can work together for a better Plainfield than the present Administration projects. If that would "unite" the Democrats into a body that has no taint, that would also be a benefit.
ReplyDeleteThere is a universality in that no matter what party is too long in power, power corrupts.
So Doc, are you saying we have a good city council, the problem is soley the Mayor?
ReplyDeleteSee today.s blog and stop nit picking. No the problem is not" solely the mayors". It would be if she acted independently of her 'mentor".
ReplyDeleteAs I said earlier on this blog, give me one example that the Mayor of a different party of City Council worked well for the city. Just one.
ReplyDelete"In his previous life as a Councilman I found him to be too pompous in his remarks. I now realize that it is a result of his "British Colonial" education"
ReplyDeleteThat is the biggest load of crap I have heard all week. Talk about a cover up for pompous behavior.
In some previous life, you too must have been a politician. You sure can say something you know is completely false, and still say it with a straight face.