Tuesday, January 14, 2014

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE COUNCIL MEETING




I must confess that I was so annoyed at the two Councilors who with the help of their other two partners prevented a routine annual resolution setting the interest rates on delinquent tax accounts from being on the action agenda, that I did miss some of the public complaints during the end of the meeting period.

However I do remember one woman’s complaint that there is no official or organization in the City responsible for the trapping or eliminating free roaming wild animals especially those who are a danger to humans and pets.

Part of the changes in public services and safety that took place during the past administration was the elimination of the animal control division and out sourcing any services to a Newark entity.

Plainfielders who have a problem are being advised to trap the wild animal themselves and then call the humane society or other agency to dispose   the animal.

Imagine it; untrained individuals instead of professional personnel are supposed to expose themselves to injury or even rabies.   
This is absolutely unacceptable and perhaps a criminal position. 

The new Administration must take rapid action to offer a remedy, and hope that the antagonistic and seemingly self-serving members of the Council will remember that they are supposed to act in the community’s best interests.

To those that believe that I am just “bitching” about certain forces in our local government and politics I might remind them that I spoke out condemning last night’s Council action as being irresponsible. I hope that those who raised the objections did not have a personal ethical conflict in not approving the resolution.

I have also in the past posted my concerns over the progressive stripping of the Health Division which did oversee animal control, to a point where everything is outsourced.

In a truly functioning Public Affairs and Safety Department; Health, Animal Control and perhaps even social services belong as an integral part.

I also am of the opinion that the public has the First Amendment right to speak out publicly against any appointment. I will defend that right even if I disagree. However, in doing so they have the obligation to state the basis of their objections. That has unfortunately not occurred.

Moreover, I question the appropriateness of what appears to be an organized mass campaign to usurp the Mayor’s prerogative and trying to force the selection of their favorite.

The rejection of the two selections and the Reorganization meeting without any of the Council objectors giving a reason for their negative vote and the so called public outcry is reminiscent of the organized party political action in dictatorial countries. It bodes ill for Democracy and the community as a whole. 

If 2014 is to not to be another disasterous year for Plainfield Administration and Council must have a working detente. Everyone who has influence must help work towards that goal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

2 comments:

  1. Councilor Reid did not have a problem with the rate in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
    Councilor Greaves did not have a problem with the rate in 2011, 2012, and 2013. These two councilors also think they deserve a raise in salary for the great work that they have done as members of the governing body.

    Councilor Rivers, Councilor Storch, Councilor Brown, and I have voted in favor of the rate every year that we have been in office. When these tax delinquents, many of whom are absentee landlords who thumb their noses at our local government, do not pay their taxes, the community suffers. What happens if we cannot meet our obligations? Who suffers? The answer is, the hard-working people of this community, including the very seniors whom we are purporting to care about. What I am concerned about is the fact that the absentee landlords, the banks that have tax obligations on the properties that they own, the entities who are warehousing homes, and those who just don't feel they want to pay taxes, are being given carte blanche to not pay.

    Many of us have struggled to pay our bills, but we understand our obligation. The large majority of people (including seniors) pay their bills and expect the city to live up to its obligations to them. As Mr. Marshall said, when the notices go out, people pay. That is why he has been able to get our tax rate up. We must collect the taxes that are due. Otherwise, it will be difficult for the city to function effectively.

    Meanwhile, Councilors Reid and Greaves think they deserve a raise. I think that the residents should weigh in on that.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laugh at Reid and Greaves. They are so concerned about the "poor" in Plainfield that they do not pay their taxes putting a burden on the "poor" people to come up with their share.

    They are nothing but selfish, self serving people who, unfortunately, have a say in city politics.

    Quite frankly, the 1st and 4th Wards deserve them. They pay more money because of Reid and Greaves' actions, and don't care. The people in those wards can pick up my share of the taxes. They seem to have more money than the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete