President Obama and VP
Biden complying with the law were sworn into their
offices in a small informal
ceremony on Sunday, January 20th.
It is fitting that there
should be a second and grandiose public celebration today, Martin Luther King Day.
Not because this is the second inauguration of our first African American
President; but a confirmation as well as a reaffirmation that four years ago
the United States came of age.
Unfortunately, there are
those even in this community who have forgotten that the breaking of that
racial barrier should also mean that those who felt discriminated upon should
not themselves express discrimination and hatred against others.
Not until we
have had a president of Muslim faith or Jewish or even Mormon and without regard
to sexual persuasion will we truly have reached the millennium.
Councilor Rebecca
Williams in her recent blog quoted MLK as saying: “On some positions cowardice
asks the question, is it safe? Expediency asks the question, is it politic?
Vanity asks the question, is it popular? But conscience asks the question, is
it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither
safe, nor politic, nor popular but he must take it because conscience tells him
it is right. “
I note this because one
of the items added for discussion is a report on the status of the “unresolved
youth baseball league matters”. That should include a response as to “who is in
charge here”. Officially it has been
nobody since the resignation of the former supervisor and presumably the
disengagement of those involved in the 4th of July and baseball
programs.
It is unfortunate that
the youth baseball program had been marked by suggestions of racial
discrimination. If this is true then it is one of the questions that have to be
answered, for any individuals concerned does not merit a city appointment.
The other question which
must be answered has been stonewalled since July 9, 2012 when Councilor
Williams posted in her blog “A few weeks ago, I had requested from the Recreation Division a
budget for ALL the Independence Day activities—what I received was a sloppy,
incomplete, and questionable Excel spreadsheet. Every single dollar of public
money spent on all events associated with the Independence Day parade and
concert needs to be accounted for. I am still awaiting the complete and
comprehensive budget I requested from the recreation superintendent—along with
all bids, required quotes, and signed contracts (including one for Alicia
Myers, who apparently performed at no cost to the city) from every performer
and vendor.”
Administration and the
Council should not have treated that requests as if it were just another “only
$20,000” and not respond to this date.
I must have missed something regarding racially charged commentary and the Little League issue.
ReplyDeleteDo I think it will be answered or truly resolved...no..unfortunately I don't.
You have the 4 Stooges now in play on the City Council and I believe they'll help behind the scenes with making life hell for the Queen City teams.
They've proven their lack of decency by who they saddled their horses up to.
Counil will allow this to continue unabated. They are part of the charade.
ReplyDelete