Wednesday, January 23, 2013

FIRST THOUGHTS COUNCIL 2013



I apologize that I will not have time before late Wednesday to go into detail about the Council meeting. However from the voting that took place it is obvious that the Mayor’s party is in control and that personal loyalties take precedence over fiduciary responsibility to the citizens.

As expected and that will be gone into in more detail at a subsequent post every resolution that deserved even the least amount of questioning  as to merit was approved  4:3. That will be the rule this year.



Every one of those resolutions received criticism from some member(s) of the public during the commentary period prior to Council action. None received positive support from citizens. 

If Plainfield is going to turn around there has to be a willingness of all the Councilors to vote with an open mind. If it is going to be a rubber stamp; then there is little hope.

An example of why I am discouraged involved a simple no earthshaking matter of the Council’s 2013 rules of Order. Although as printed they contain many omissions or irregularities, some of which could possibly lead to charges over the legality of the Council’s action and could wait one month to be clarified the Council voted 4:3 to defeat a tabling motion.

I wonder how many of the Councilors would take an oath that they have read the 2013 version of their own rules. The Corporation Counsel who appointment was unanimously approved at the meeting referred to articles that were present in the 2012 RO but were altered or inadvertently omitted in the 2013copy that is attached to the Resolution. The fact that we “have always done it” and the State Law permits voting by “speakerphone’ if the rules the Council approves states only that a councilor must be physically present in the chambers and speakerphone vote is illegal.

On the surface the whole issue would be nonsense; however if the Council members are willing to accept procedure illegalities could one not question
their willingness to not ignore fiscal irregularities?

This boo-boo can be corrected by amending resolutions next month.

3 comments:

  1. If last night was any indication, they couldn't even take an oath to uphold the city's Municipal Code without it being a lie. There seems to be no puddle of conflicted interest they are unwilling to dive into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc the same rules of order have been passed for as long as I have been coming to meetings. Councilmen Mapp passed them last year, and Council women McWilliams passed them as a 2 term President. I always agree with you on your views, but this one I think is wrong.

    As I sat in the audience last noght and watch Mr. Mapp go on and on about what was wrong in the Rules of Order, i said to myself why didn't he fixed them under his watch??????

    I will say to council women Rivers or let me correct myself council President Rivers take what have been said about the rules of order and make the correct changes so that it will be done correctly on your watch.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, At the agenda session I pointed out that there weree many errors in their RO that had been ignored for years but approved because as with many resolutions many Council members either don't bother to read or don't understand.
    Ihad pointed out that if the speaker vote was not specifically mentioned all those votes passed with such voting could be challenged as illegal and potentially subject the city to money damages.
    I do not want that t o happen an is one reason I brought u p the matter. Council President Rivers was concerned enough to look into it. I think the Corporation Counsel's advice is wrong.
    As to the New Dems; that too have been guilty of the same fault. Mapp did read thye rules after my comments (something which should not have been taken for granted in the past) and his recommendation was in the best interests. Unfortunately if he is going to call something black there is a core that will call it white.

    ReplyDelete