A little this and a little that.
Many concerned citizens think that Administration will try to place the "Monarch Ordinance on the Agenda for second reading on Monday night. It takes only a majority of those present to put it back on the agenda, and a simple majority of 4 Council members to pass. If this were to happen that is a reason that the public should attend Monday's meeting and speak out. Before any Ordinance is voted on the public has the right to speak and the commentary period may not be limited.
Despite Corporation Counsel Williamson's assurance that passing the ordinance only permits the granting of a tax variance which would have to be approved by the Council, let us understand that in effect it grants the developer a selling point and if not approved by Council probably would subject the city to legal action.
"I will get back to you" promised the Council certain information and data before this Monday's meeting. Will it be made public beforehand so that we the people can judge its validity in making a decision? What is the result of the 'independent" appraisal for the condo's market selling price? Who did the appraisal? Has the company had any connection with any individual involved in Plainfield politics?
AREA OF CONFUSION: From past experience I know that between the time I write something and it appears as posted, words or even phrases become the gremlins prize. Jerry wrote: We also discussed services contracts pertaining to trash pick-up and the maintenance of the train stations. My understanding is that these contract bids are sourced to outside entities; I would like to see local municipalities take advantage of contract biddings, growing our local infrastructures. (boldface mine)
I am confused by the meaning of the last sentence. What does trash pickup etc have to do with our infrastructure? I am sure this must be a misprint and the Assemblyman will clarify his train of thought.
I know that the PMUA could bid on the trash contracts but they, an autonomous authority, are not part of our infrastructure. Does this city have the resources to bid on trash removal and property maintenance?
Over the past two decades various citizens have petitioned the state to audit the city's finances. For various reasons the Comptroller's office has not be able to conduct such an audit. I am not surprised that the Assemblyman's request did not result in any action, nor will it ever do so.
PUBLIC MEETING PARTICIPATION: At the Agenda setting meeting the public is not allowed to comment until the end of the meeting after all business is finished. I question if it would not be valuable in helping the Council make a decision to consider an issue if it heard from the public prior to their own discussion.
Be that as it is, there is the opportunity for public opinion prior top the Council voting. However, as Jim Pivnichny has pointed out the mechanism is faulty, both at this point and during the period of public comments. If the individual has not used up his time and 3 minutes is very short, he/she should be permitted to ask a clarifying question or make such a remark. The present gag rule defeats the principle of Democracy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Doc...I am not so sure that the current version of Jerrys blog is the original. I do not recall that specification about trash pick up upon first and second reading.
ReplyDelete9:51AM; I copied the exact wording from JG' blog. I do not recall any other verson that has been corrected or changed.
ReplyDeleteWE blogers have the opportunity to edit our posting at any time. It is my practice to correct typo, grammar and spelling errors when noticed without a comment.However if I make a significant change in phraseology I have always noted the time of that change. I believe that the other Plainfield blogers also call attention to changes.