Both Dan and I raised questions as to the impact on the city from the Connolly property bankruptcy. He also raised the question about what the city can and will do to protect the tenants in the affected buildings.
These are valid question since in the immediate past our record of reacting to complaints has left much to be desired.
A while back- I would have to go back to look up exact dates- I wrote that Palinfield should urgently review its building ,property codes and ordinances, and rewrite all those that were out of date or had no teeth. I am sure that there has been the standard inaction. Council must insist on this even if Administration is unwilling. WE can not accept the excuse that there is a lack of manpower or funds. Plainfield has to bring its corporate body up to date before there can be any revitalization of our city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree that the Plainfield government has been lax in it's enforcement of codes and upating of codes. If the city had been doing it's job, David Connolly would not have gotten away with creating slums in our city and that is in part the current government's fault.
ReplyDeleteAs a voter I don't care if the mayor or city council members don't want to do this, I'm your boss and so is everyone who was harmed by their inaction. I say to the mayor and city council, get to work, update and enforce, or you will be replaced!
With complete respect for Active Citizen (AC)…I would have to "slightly" disagree with their assessment...in the following way.
ReplyDeleteAC states that the city was lax in its enforcement of codes...when in reality; they were not lax in their enforcement when violations occurred in the 2nd ward. The most accurate statement is...they city was inconsistent, unorganized and arbitrary in its enforcement of codes. This led to the Connelly debacle...
Would not " arbitrarily selective in enforcing codes for many years"
ReplyDeleteSo people, vote the R line in November. It is the Right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteIf you do not, what exactly will change do you think?