- Each district should be identified by name and the boundaries delineated.
- Common building and property restrictions published
- Unique restrictions for individual districts noted in the district description.
- Procedures required for any building alterations; internal as well as external
- Signed documentation that the property owner is aware of special requirements of the historic district
- Signed affidavit by both Realtor and Purchaser at time of sale that conditions pertinent to the historic district have been explained to the buyer . To avoid confusion the affidavit should list restrictions.
- The role of the Historic Commission, the Planning Board and the Zoning board before any construction permit is issued.
- Who is responsible for enforcing the Historic District convents
- Who can issue variances to the Historic District regulations and who must give final approval.
- Who enforces the regulations unique to the Historic District.
- What are the penalties for violating a Historic District.
- Who will be held responsible for violations, Property owner, contractor. architect etc.; individual or all.
2-All such information should be posted on the city site at best under information pending a complete restructuring of the site to make it user friendly and informative.
I am sure all this is on file someware within the city hall walls but is it readily retrievable ? I ask this question since I am truly naive.
All of which brings me back to something I have advocated for years without success. All city ordinances should be reviewed, collated by subject into an available document. All Ordinances still on the books that have been supersede but not repealed or have become irresponsible due to passage of time and circumstances be formally revoked, or rewritten to be pertinent to the 21st Century.
I know this will cost money but I will bet a penny to a dollar that there is an available grant out there somewhere that will fund the project. Look for it.
While on the subject of the city's paper infrastructure, I believe that it is now the time to reorganize the administrative structure to provide for any new positions and eliminate redundant ones. Time to draw clear lines of responsibility and accounting (reporting).
If Plainfield is to revitalise itself the above is more important than the findings of any commission or study.
No comments:
Post a Comment