Wednesday, July 8, 2015
A TRUE STORY
The best and funniest stories about people are the ones one tells about themselves.
Sunday as I scanned the comic strips looking for the few I do read this comic Pickles which I rarely look at caught my eye, and "broke me up".
I was never a linguistic student .and I have many stories to tell about my accomplishments in High School, College and during he war in Europe. However this strip recalled one of the most embarrassing moments of my High School years.
In those days one had to have two years of foreign language. I had had one year of Latin and the Department Head Mrs Henderson ( I believe)advised me that I would never pass the second year. I therefore decided to study French.
The teacher I was assigned to was the dreaded Herr Adolph Hauck who I thought should have been a Prussian General.
One day in class we were reading a story in French and he was calling on various students to read a line or two. I was either daydreaming or contemplating the neck of the girl who was seated in front of me, when he called my name.
I stood up and started to read the words "Oui,Oui,Oui". In my best loud voice I said "OOOEEE, OOOEEE, OOOEEE". Needless to say the class broke out in hysterics and Herr Hauck in his inimitable brusque way asked me if I was trying to be a comedian.
By the way I did take a year of French in college. How I passed it is another story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
o
Shall we now call you "Earl?"
ReplyDeleteDr. Yood, you made my day! Very funny story, and I would love to hear how you passed French? Would I love to read it? Mas oui!
ReplyDelete