Wednesday, November 5, 2014

ELECTON THOUGHTS



And then there is New Jersey.

I have not yet read or listen to the pundits take on the election results. 

However, it is obvious that Democracy works in most of this nation.
In Seven Blue states the Republican Party won Senate seats that had belonged to Democrats and in two states, Alaska where the final vote tally was not in and Louisiana where there will b e a runoff election, the Republican was leading.

A 9 seat change is a catastrophe. That means that in at least those states the electorate voted their opinion not the party ticket.

New Jersey is a horse of another color. A heavily industrialized urban state its party affiliations tend to be Democratic. Thus in National elections the chances of a Republican Senate candidate winning is slight. 

For a Republican to become Governor an incumbent Democrat has to be the world’s greatest “FU”. Consider who preceded Christie.
There can be little change in the Assembly  and the State Senate since the districts have been so gerrymandered over the past two decades that 90+% of the seats are “safe”. This applies also to the Congressional districts.

Almost all the NJ Counties have strong entrenched party leadership, Republican or Democrat depending on it being urbanized or suburban/rural. Union is no exception. Consider the Republican Party had only one Candidate running for the 3 Freeholder seats!

That brings me to our city elections. The results were of no surprise. I had expressed my opinions as was my right. I had hope that the large nonaffiliated electorate would finally overcome its antipathy and come out and vote. Obviously that was not to be.

The turnout was poor however in the 2nd and 3rd wards representing  about 30% of registered voters. There was in both wards an increase in protest votes for the Republican line holder over the number of registered Republicans in those wards.

However I had been hoping for a better turn out. It had been apparent that the Green strategy was to run a low key campaign in those wards in order not to increase interest.

Perhaps it was the realization that there could be no change in the overall makeup of the city government. We are an impatient society that does not understand that real change comes in small steps.

It is hard to explain the repudiation of the local party leadership in the BOE elections where the Campbell ticket once again prevailed by a small majority. The results here may have been due to the quality of the candidates that caused sufficient numbers to abandon the party line.  

Perhaps you can supply me with an explanation.

More tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Doc, Why do you think there was such a low voter turn out?When Obama was running many people who were never registered before,and who did not vote on a regular basis showed up at the polls to vote for a black man to run for President, but did not show up to support their local black Council or School Board candidates. Shame on you all who voted by sitting home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the following comment and you will undersand the "I got mine" mentality of the: "I can't be bothered to vote" class. The last to vote the first to bit@@ bunch

      Delete
  2. Some people are not political and could care less about voting. We are law abiding citizens who work hard, pay our taxes, we don't want to be miserable like you people. Therefore mind your business, live and let live.I don't give a hoot able Green, Campbell, Williams, Michaelson, Taylor, or any of you idiots that have no life.Worry about yourself.I am so lazy I own a 450.000 house, make three figures, give more than most to charity, pay school taxes gladly with no school children. Volunteer at a women's battered shelter and I am lazy, No you people who insult each other all day are lazy, get a life.I WON'T vote in the next election either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya can't make this stuff up! Tell someone in a country where you cant vote, you could care less about your vote, they will gladly take it. Thanks for giving to charity, I am sure you are a good and generous person but it dosen't make you any less stupid I am sorry to say. God bless you and those of your ilk.

      Delete
  3. 6:24 PM This is the last time I will post your anonymous drivel . You would condone someone stealing your car-live and let live. You approve of racial discrimination. I suppose beating up your wife is OK according to you. But a desire for honest good government is a no no. That is your America?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured 6:42 would check back for responses to witty comment above. I am really the stupid one for thinking someone of your obviously limited acumen could learn anything, and with that eventuality, to thank you for not voting. Please forgive stupid, stupid me for stating the obvious. Sincerly, Happy to be Peter Pan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc I hope everyone realizes that the 7 of the 9 seats on the BOE are now controlled by one person. If a good amount of the city has a negative view and are unhappy with the Plainfield school District why do we keep voting the same people to positions of power every yr.

    You deserve the governance you elect, but our children deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes they deserve better, unfortunately, they will be getting more of the same. If the same person have been in control for the last 10 years with little to no improvement, don't expect much at this juncture. Same on you Plainfield.

    ReplyDelete