Sunday, September 21, 2014

DREAM ON



Another weekend of football, and Sunday my daughter, son-in-law and nephew and wife who had been using my home as a staging area returned from the cruise they had been on. Thus no time to write an essay about the world or OZ.

But that did not keep me from thinking about what might be good for OZ.  I was ruminating about Jerry’s  recent blog and his comments about getting his sons  jobs with the city as well as those from the many anomies who made posted comments to Bernice’s and my blogs as well as David’s about patronage and nepotism. It struck me that it would valuable to the people if every person who has an elected or appointed position with the city or any of its agencies would make public all other positions they, their spouses, their children or siblings including significant others have with either city, county, or associated entities.  

Perhaps that could be extended to include State employment.
Why do I think it important?  For an example it could be possible that one of the Councilors in voting might be influenced in some manner by such a relationship. Even if that were not happening any possible conflict of interest should be made public. This type relationship could also be a possibility of influence for any Administrator in making planning decisions, especially one that could mean an economic gain for a third party.

This information could be include in the individual’s public dossier.

I know that would have as much chance of having official policy approval as the proverbial snowball in H***; but one can dream. Perhaps if officialdom did not find that worthwhile a watchdog group could collate such information.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea. I would like to know how many relatives ad friends are working on my dime for these so-called public servants. I'm sure people would think twice about voting for some.

    ReplyDelete