Monday, March 18, 2013

JERRY! JERRY!



Once again our Assemblyman and Chairman of the Plainfield Democrat Committee Jerry Green has taken exception to one of my blogs and accused me of lying in print.

On 3/14/13 Jerry wrote in his blog“I am hurt by the comments that he allowed to be printed in the past as well as most of his criticisms that weren’t just misleading but out right false” here.
This was in response to my March 13 blog expressing my fears about Assembly Bill A3403 as sent to the Senate.

I fail to find any misinformation or falsehoods that I have written. I will assure Green that I have read the revised bill and when I wrote that if the provisions of the bill which arranged for a 10 year tax rebate of up to $10 million to any developer who would take over the Muhlenberg building for non-acute health care and non acute health care services would be to JFK’s favor by prohibiting an acute care facility to be reinstated in that site.

In Green’s own blog 1/29/13 Green & Sumter Bill to Help Communities Transform ..he wrote( click.) “The bill restricts the function of a repurposed facility to a non-acute health care and health support services center, and requires a credit applicant to demonstrate that such an investment will not destabilize the supply and delivery of acute health care services in its market”
If I can recall at the staged hearings was it not the presence of JFK the excuse to close Muhlenberg; since  JFK was suppose to serve Plainfield and its surroundings?

If those words which are verbatim from the wording in the bill* itself does not mean that there cannot be an acute care hospital established on site using  State monetary support; I do not understand the English language.

Green goes onto write “What this bill does is bring back and expand medical services and creates jobs which our community needs”. What he fails to do is to explain how non-acute health services and non-acute support services  will provide any benefit that the community does not have.

In a strict interpretation of “non-acute” the ER which Solaris will abandon  at the end of the 5 year mandatory provision; can only be replaced according to the phrase “non-acute” by an “urgent care” walk in facility; and we already have several in the area.

Green also states that this bill is designed to help communities where hospitals have been closed and not replaced. He gives Barnett as an example;“Barnert Hospital in Paterson is a perfect example of a productive transformation from hospital to community health center. This bill would support transitions such as Barnert’s in other areas of the state.”

To make his case Green would equate Apples with Oranges. Barnert and Muhlemberg situations are not in the least comparable. Patterson has another Hospital, St Joseph, in the city. Patterson has not suffered the loss of its acute car facility.

Plainfield on the other hand has been denuded of acute care facilities. I will remain convinced to my dying day that despite describing his position as powerful in Trenton; Jerry Green did little to avert that tragedy.

Green writes:” This bill I sponsored helps not just Plainfield but the entire state. This isn’t some bill that helps Solaris or lines my pockets like some on the blogs have speculated. For any person to ever say that about me or that I have ever taken a dime in my 30 plus year career you must not know who I am or my record. You must be speaking from personal experience because I’ve never and will never take a dime to do this.”

I have never accused him of taking a dime. On the other hand can Green unequivocally state that if implemented this bill could not benefit Solaris (JFK)? Nor can he deny that there a was a relationship between an organization with which he was associated and JFK. It is true he did officially terminate his position in that company when the Muhlenberg closure became an issue.

*16-To be eligible for any tax credits authorized under this
17  section, a developer shall demonstrate to the authority, at the time
18 of application, that the State's financial support of the proposed
19 capital investment in a qualified health care facility will not
20 destabilize the supply and delivery of acute care health services in
21 its market (A3043-page 3)

** from his own words  3/17/13

*** Hospitals closed; (Wikipedia listing)


Other Hospitals  
Bayonne Hospital was reopened as part of a for profit chain.
Union and South Amboy are in municipalities adjacent to close large hospitals

9 comments:

  1. doc you do realize the press release you are quoting and the quote you used was said by assemblywoman sumter about barnert who represents paterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon 9:31am, You are right it was Sumter quote which Green posted as part OF his 1/29/13 blog. He accepted that as part of his blog,I consider that as if he agreed with her reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob,not that I don' agree with you but your AK reference made it unacceptable to print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... AK .. that took me a minute to think of what I wrote.. Gotcha.. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry Green not tell the truth?!! You cannot mean it.

    I have always said, if Jerry was that powerful, he would have walked into Corzine's office, demanded Muhlenburg stay open, and it would have happened.

    Could it be that the send most powerful man in the Assembly ain't that powerful?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Doc,
    I believe Assemblyman Green's bill is a step in the right direction. We should applaud him for sponsoring this bill which can lead to economic revitalization of areas where hospitals have been closed and the provision of high quality primary care. However, we should also request that he make his bill even more beneficial to the community by not restricting acute care usages of the repurposed facility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3:28 anon, Isn't the restriction on acute care my objection? Any state help in re-purposing is a positive step but that one phrase makes it detrimental for Plainfield.That is why we should oppose this bill.

    What we need should have been an active pursuit of a for profit hospital chain that would have replaced most of Muhlenbergs services. They were available and at least two citizen groups had proposed interested parties but they never received administrative interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bayonne Hospital was taken over by a for profit. They are not as ideal as a non profit because they have to be concerned with a return on their investment so some service will be restricted. But they work and we have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Give em h..l Harry, oops, Harold.

    Angelo

    ReplyDelete