Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A PERSONAL ADDENDUM TO JERRY! JERRY!



Despite my comments yesterday about Assemblyman Green’s strong assertions that my blog about AB3403  was “misleading and absolutely false”  I was happy to learn that he always felt that” I cared about the city and its future.”

If that were not true I would not have spent the best part of over 90 years as a resident. I must discount 8 of the best years of my life away as a student and learning my professional career. Additionally there was a “no cost conducted tour” of Europe from the Bulge into Berlin; part way over the Rhine in a flying machine without an engine.I have previously commented about that period in earlier blogs. (http://dpotpourri.blogspot.com/2009/03/64-years-ago-varsity.html)

(If link doesn't work paste in URL).
I also appreciate Green’s remarks that he respected me as an ‘educator”.  I was unaware that he knew that I enjoyed the teaching aspects of my profession; partly as a pro bono Clinical Instructor at what was the then Rutgers Medical School; and more pleasurable for years in the 50s as the instructor of a course in Infectious Diseases for the Muhlenberg Nursing Students. The only problem with that class was it was right after lunch and some students had difficulty staying awake.

Yes I am a M.D.  The title or degree “Doctor” is derived from the Latin word for “teacher”, and it should be respected when applied to all disciplines for the effort needed to obtain such a degree. Yet Doctor is not as unique or meaningful as Physician, the label I prefer. I have always considered myself as a Physician, and a damn good one; as a healer to the best of my ability with the resources available rather than a teacher.


It is the honor that my peers allocated to me by electing me as the only two term President of the Muhlenberg Medical Staff and as President of the short lived Raritan Valley Hospital Attending Medical Staff as well as my involvement in various Community service organizations plus auditing and reporting about the functioning of the City’s civil organization that I would wish to have Assemblyman Green’s respect.

Unfortunately I cannot respect Chairman Green for what I considered a  less than optimum effort in trying to retain Muhlenberg , or for his support for a second term of a dysfunctional administration;  Those are two incidents in which he did a hurtful disservice to our city.

I must admire him for his extraordinary political and interpersonal  skills which have served him well for 30 years. He is one of those rare individuals who demonstrate that a piece of paper with a degree is not the marker of intelligence or a vital tool for a successful and important person.    

I admire him for disregarding any personal feelings by supporting Adrian Mapp for Mayor. Especially for his admission if I correctly heard Dan’s Video; that he made a mistake the last Mayoral election.

I do hope this collaboration with cooperation of the Council will be norm for the next four years; and I then will have little to complain about in my blog.

My home is always open for the Assemblyman if he wishes to come; and have a “tete-a-tete” discussion not only about common concerns but also over our differences rather than our sniping on the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. regardless of HIS snaps back and toward you Doc.. you allow people to comment on your blog.
    This says more about him than he realizes...
    You want to represent me? You want to be my voice? Then show me you listen to my voice or at least pretend to.. What's Jerry fear from the common people?? Maybe Jerry truly believes as Bill Reid that if you don't like it...MOVE?
    Were his aggressive nature applied to that hospital closure like he routinely applies to his constituents maybe things would be different today..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc --

    Solaris and the state were absolutely wrong to close Muhlenberg. I think they thought the surrounding hospitals would absorb the demand and make those hospitals stronger.

    Thursday had to go to the hospital through the ER for an emergency surgery. My doctor sent me to Overlook.

    The ER was packed on a Thursday. There were no beds in the hospital. I had to wait 19 hours from walking into the ER to finally getting a bed. I had to wait 4 hours before I got the critical IV antibiotics I needed. I spent most of the 19 hours on a gurney in the ER hallway.

    This is NOT providing top-noch health care to society.

    Muhlenberg's closure is impacting EVERYONE's care in the region. Turning the facility into a non-medical use is and would be a disaster. The societal need is there. The market demand is there.

    I will always believe the Muhlenberg "losses" were engineered to benefit Solaris' business agenda, that has nothing to do with servicing this community or the region.

    Olive

    ReplyDelete