Tuesday, March 26, 2013

BERLIN TIDBIT

I was scanning a backup hard drive and came across this picture of Berlin in the summer of 1945. This is the large Victory Reviewing Stand the Russians erected  on Unter Der Linden near the Tier Garten.
" Uncle Joe" ;FDR on the left and Winston on the right. 


I was in Berlin as Battalion Surgeon of the 376 Parachute Field Artillery Battalion of the 82nd Div. . Our motor vehicles consisted of two Jeeps (TE) plus a Dodge Ambulance which had been picked up abandoned by the 28th in the Bulge. Since the Detachment was only 5 enlisted men and myself at that time; I had a drivers license, which is the basis of a latter story.

At that time Penicillin was available for treating VD. However  because there was a lucrative market in the sale of penicillin; for GC we had to get a positive smear before we could get the drug. That meant we had to make the slides and send them to the hospital in Berlin's lab. We would get the results the next day.

The hardest duty I had was  sick call for the Division Brig and would have to see each day's goof offs.

One day a GI who had been in the brig from Africa for more time than on duty appeared with the most obvious signs of Gonorrhea.{ A liberal Jail!}. I still had to take the smear before I could treat him and told him to return in 48 hours. With that he strongly protested that every other 6 times He had GC he had immediate treatment. {Note Penicillin but a sulfonomide plus intra-urethral injections of Argyrol.}.

I explained that orders were orders and my hands were tied. We proceeded per regulations and since  bacterial resistance had not developed to the new antibiotic one injection "cured" him.

Apparently this character had an influential family so when he complained about his bad treatment some one had put pressure on their Senator.He filed a complaint about being denied proper treatment; and several weeks later I was favored with a visit from the Inspector General's office.  The presentation of a copy of the order from Berlin Area Command quickly settled the issue.

Since you know that I was during the combat times one of two Medical Officers with the 1st Battalion 194 Glider Inf. Div.; you may wonder  how I was a member of the 82nd. That is a story unto itself.   







3 comments:

  1. Hi Doc,
    That looks like Truman on the left which would make sense since FDR died in April, and I am guessing this was erected as part of the Potsdam conference celebrations. That would explain why Churchill was still depicted instead of Clement Atlee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7:23 You are right of course. This was Truman. The time of this picture was early summer 1945; The 82nd was the first official American units to administer Berlin although i believe either the 1st or 3rd Divisions were in there at the beginning for a very short period of time. The 82nd left early December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doc,

    What an amazing collection of memories you have! Please continue sharing them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete