Monday, April 9, 2012

APRIL 9, 2012

Monday, after Easter and Plainfield is still "wandering in the Wilderness"**. According to Sunday's Courier the Mayor has ignored Mapp's letter from the Council offering to wipe out the Council's sanctions in exchange for a letter of apology and the dropping of her suit.

One's pride whether justified or false is more important than the public interest. Not taking into account the cost to the city in legal fees, it is obvious that at least for this year there will be an antagonistic relationship between Administration and Council.

If there is continued conflict that hinders the city's well being it may be time to consider a recall petition. The mechanism is described in sections 6:14-6:17 of the City Charter. It is a difficult procedure that requires a petition signed by 1/3 of the registered voters before it can be submitted to a public vote at either a special or general election. If it were a Councilman, the petition would be limited to the ward(s) represented.

In essence in a community like Plainfield with its small voter turnouts such action is an improbability. I would consider such an attempt to be counter productive and just increase polarization in the city.

Another factor that would have to be considered , would be the target official's support by the local party chair. In any dominant Party community the leadership can effectively block any recall move. That is politics. (blue type added 7:50AM)

Tonight's agenda contains three resolutions relating too the PMUA, Since they are basic request for PMUA action and have no mandate; the council vote will be an indicator of the future ability of the city to govern rationally. This could change come the November elections. That will depend on the outcome of the June primary election.

There was an article in the Ledger relating how the "super PACs" are able to circumvent "Pay to Play" legislation.

There is one resolution on tonight's agenda awarding by the "Fair and Open process" a $770,650.00 contract to Remington and Vernick for engineering services for the the "2012 Roadway Improvement Program". The Council was informed at the agenda session that this represents a savings from having each individual project subjected to the bidding process.

** Exodus

6 comments:

  1. Doc I will sign the petition. I will tell you that if a petition will go around for a recall of this mayor, there will be enough signatures to call for a special election.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish to make it clear that I am not advocating a recall petition, just mentioning a possible action to repair a dysfunctional local government. There are other slower routes through the election process which can have begin to have impact at this years primary and possibly at the general election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I advocate for a recall of this "mayor", but am not sure it will happen. She doesn't have the support of most of the people in my disctrict. I hope her actions mean an end to any political hopes Shady Sharonda has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob the 2nd Ward is tour district. I don't think any Black American's have support in your district.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Anonymous has been in the second Ward recently. I've walked it and many of the folks I've talked to are black and hipanis; and district 1, which I represent, is mostly black and hispanic. That has nothing to do with the issue of a dysfunctional mayor, unless Anonymous thinks blacks are more willing to accept a bad mayor than whites. This isn't Newark, so I don't think we can draw that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob.12:58 comment is not worth a response since it is the typical bitch of a racist. The facts are that the 2nd wars is probably the most ethnic diverse ward in the city. The city's total ethnic numbers are 25,006 Africa-Americans;11724 White and 10024 who call themselves 'Others" plus474 Asian,455 American Indian/native and 26 Hawian/Pacific.
    If any ethnic group would sudder in thecity because of race it would be the whites. There are 20105 who consider them selves Hispanic or Latino out of a total population of 49808 recorded in the 2010 census.

    By the way, 12:58 what ward elected McWilliams and Williams? Or don't they count?

    ReplyDelete