Wednesday, June 1, 2011

CANDIDATES NIGHT.

In Cook School an acceptable audience of roughly about 80  attended  Tuesday night's "Candidate Debate" sponsored by FOSH.. It was more like a club meeting than an expression of political views.

For about 80 minutes the four  contestants; two for the 2nd Ward and 2 for the 1st/4th Ward seats answered ever question offered by the moderator. I doubt if many preconceived minds were changed.

Although  Delois Dameron came across more forcefully than Vera Greaves who emphasized her ticket affiliation  with the party's Green dominated faction the fact is that those two Wards are strongly controlled by the local party chairman. Dameron is of course running as a New Democrat and if elected conceiving that Storch  retains his seat will give the New Democrats a veto proof majority on  the Council.

There is a different situation in the 2nd Ward where the incumbent Corey Storch is seeking a third term. His challenger Tony Rucker on the "Green" ticket  seems to be a Maverick and may well bring an independent view to the Council. His responses to many of the questions would not have endeared him to Green..

Aside from the fact that there is a two party faction race in the 2nd Ward the choice is between a person who because for the past 8 year he has served the public's interest well has earned the enmity of the party leader and a newcomer  who will not be a  "party's rubber stamp". Rucker is probably the party's line A nominee because there was no one else in the Ward who could be a threat to the incumbent.

Oh yes there was another 2nd Ward Candidate in the room who was just an audience member and not on the stage. Bill Michelson is running unopposed  in the Republican Primary. Since that slate has only the party's nominees as candidates  he may receive a few more than family votes next week. His race is in November and then he will be a debate participant.

11 comments:

  1. Your blog shows your bias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bewildered-9:54 please show what biased statement I wrote.

    If I were biased I would have stated who I will vote for, and I will vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biased opinion: the choice is between a person who because for the past 8 year he has served the public's interest well has earned the enmity of the party leader and a newcomer

    The 2nd ward does NOT agree with your statement Doc..

    ReplyDelete
  4. 11:07 That is just a statement of fact. How the 2nd Ward voters cast their votes will be an expression of their conviction as to which candidate should represent this Ward. That is the Democratic process by which we abide.

    I believe that the next sentence should be part of the whole when you are determining if I am biased or not. To me it is a positive not negative statement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Rucker is the Line A candidate because Cory Storch is not. Last time around Cory was the party line choice. The time before that, campaign contributions from PMUA's executive director and its attorneys, engineers, and auditors were funneled through the United Plainfield PAC to help finance Cory's election bid. The fact is, the Jerry Green-New Dem ticket has defined Plainfield politics for entirely too long. They both take the same money from the same contractors, and they both try to deflect their own deficiencies to the other, while putting the city in the backseat watching endless reruns of the same old movie. All the tit-for-tat sells copy but goes nowhere. It's time for change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rucker is Jerry Green and Sharon Robinson-Briggs all the way and don't be fooled. He'll be Sharon's rubber stamp and has learned to be deceitful and dishonest from his mentor, Joltin Jerry. Beware the Jabberwock my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Alan, from your comment, "The fact is, the Jerry Green-New Dem ticket has defined Plainfield politics for entirely too long. They both take the same money from the same contractors, and they both try to deflect their own deficiencies to the other, while putting the city in the backseat watching endless reruns of the same old movie. All the tit-for-tat sells copy but goes nowhere. It's time for change."

    So - Tony is Jerry Green
    Cory is New Dem

    Who do we vote for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doc,

    What never ceases to amaze me is that no matter what position Rucker takes, no matter how knowledge he may be, no matter what contributions he may have made to our community, and no matter the TRUTH, there are people who are hell-bent on labeling him Jerry's rubber stamp. For shame.

    If you take issue with Rucker's positions, do so...be honest about it. Otherwise, put your "rubber stamp" entitled "Jerry" away and stop trying to falsely label the man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 12:39AM: I did not think that I was being too obtuse for you when I wrote-- "Tony Rucker on the "Green" ticket seems to be a Maverick and may well bring an independent view to the Council. His responses to many of the questions would not have endeared him to Green".
    I did not think that I was labeling him as a rubber stamp. I should apologize to Rucker if that is the impression my blog left. I have not taken an official position on any candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan , I had posted your comment and was going to delete it from my email but accidentally after posting it rejected it.In other words I wiped it out. If you wish to resubmit I will post it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doc,

    I am the author of comment @12:39 AM. When I said "you" I meant the general "you" and not you directly. Sorry for any confusion.

    ReplyDelete