Now that I have had few minutes to look at the document Councilor Burney posted, once again I must say that I know no more than I did two days ago. Unfortunately this is only 1/2 of the budget. It is the "Appropriations Detail". The important half , anticipated income is missing. One can not project expenditures without a guesstimate of income and also comparison with actual income and expenditures in the immediate precediting year.
Until they are available it is impossible to form any opinion on the workability of the budget. Moreover there are so many changes in line items that too often one is trying to compare apples with oranges. Some are even weird; for instance on page 1 in the 2010 budget line item 53 "Program/Community Initiatives" (whatever that is) for $1850.00 and in the 2011 Fy is $0.0. This is in Other Expenses for the City Administrator. Amazingly in 2010 the City Council has zero expenses for "Program/Community Initiative in 2010 but there is in 2011 (line item 35) a appropriation of $1500.00.Moving items like this is commonplace in this proposed budget.
Of more importance is an increase of$33,200.00 in wages and $120,000.00 in other expenses for Information Technology.A decrease of $18,000 in auditing expenses! A decrease of $30,000.00 in wages in Purchasing! Does that mean we are go into have less controls? A salary increase of $17,000.00 form $160,288 t o $177788 in the Department of Administration and Finances. However since the position of director was vacant most of 2010 how much was actually spent in salaries in FY2010 and where did the rest of the appropriation go?
The Fire Department allocation is $700,000 less than in the 2010 budget, The Police Department is$300,000 less for an already understaffed department.
I don't know if there is a time line for the Council to finalize a budget. However they will need all the expert advice, information, and an accurate accounting of expenditures and receipts in FY 2010 that they can obtain. to produce a valid FY 2011 budget. They may have to rely on CBAC for help this year, although that committees charge is more an advisory commentary role. As far as I am concerned I wasted 14 pages of paper and printer ink.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
While you may not have the revenues, that point is invalid since you cannot change the reveneues.
ReplyDeleteThe only revenues you can change is the tax on homeowners.
Thus your agrument is only valid as far as the tax levy, but expenses can be looked at and decided upon.
As a former official, myself I must say that those who sit in the Ccouncil seat must bear the responsibility of all votes thay cast. You should not hide from that.
ReplyDeleteCollaboration has been going on since 1776 - and responsibility must be accepted by those who ultimately vote for it.
That too is a traditon in America that goes back to 1776.