The first amendment gives each and every one of us the right to speak or write freely and express our thoughts even if they be anti-social or inflammatory. It does not give us the right to incite violence nor is it to be a vehicle to preach religious based hatred. It certainly does not give license for libel. Libel is defined as”(1) a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt,(2)defamation of a person by written or representational means.
Mr. Joseph A. Clore’s letter printed 6/19/2009 in the Courier News in which he accuses me twice by name of expressing hatred for the President and calling Obama a racists for being the author of another’s letter ,certainly meets all the criteria expressed above for libel.
Granted the unlikely possibility that Mr. Clore ,a self acknowledge anti- Vietnam War activist at Syracuse and now working for the government in the Environmental Protection Agency. May have made an honest mistake about the author of the letter that pushed his buttons he has had 48 hours to attempt to ameliorate the injury he has caused.
I for one wonder that since Mr. Clore wrote “Harold Yood’s letter in the June 16 edition of the Courier News certainly exposes his true agenda.” That it was not the contents of Rabbi Rosenberg’s letter that initiated Clore’s diatribe but since he accuses me of having an agenda that this was motivated by my public criticism of the local political leadership.
If that be the case, he is so far out in left field that he may never see the ball. I am too old to have a self-serving agenda. The only “agenda” I could possibly entertain is to make Plainfield a desirable community for present and future residents.
Religious, ethnic, racial, orientation bigotry is reprehensible no matter where the source and should be actively suppressed. I would quote from the end of President Obama’s Cairo Speech’
“There is also one rule that lies at the heart of every religion-that we must do unto others as we would have them do unto us” This truth transcends nations and peoples-a belief that isn’t new, that isn‘t black or white or brown; that isn’t Christian, or Muslim, or Jew. It’s a belief that pulsed the cradle of civilization, and still beats in the hearts of billions. It’s a faith in other people”
All the Clores and Rosenbergs of this world and their ilk should read all of Obama.s Cairo Speech. It is a masterpiece. Try to read it with hope not bias.
AD thank you for the proof read.
ReplyDeleteAnyone accusing you of bigotry obviously does not know you.
ReplyDeleteI apologized after 48 hours because I did not realize my mistake until a friend pointed it out. I mistakenly addressed my letter to you instead of Rabbi Rosenberg. I did not mean to address you at all. None of my comments were actually directed at you. I apologized to you today on the Courier News website, and I apologize to you again now.
ReplyDeleteJoseph A. Clore
Accepted, thank you.
ReplyDelete