Thursday, June 4, 2009

PHOTO NOSTALGIA POTPOURRI

Graduation time and it is a pleasant relief to have time to dig up some pictures of my College.
I spent perhaps the most influential 7 years of my life at the University of Virginia.

The Rotunda designed by Jefferson and rebuilt after a fire in the 1890s by Sandford White. It has served as classrooms and when I was first there it was the University Library. This picture was taken from a far end of the "Lawn"
A closer view of the Rotunda from the Lawn
The "West Lawn" student rooms and Pavilions. Part of the original Jefferson's "Academic Village". These rooms are highly prized by students and awarded to those who had outstanding scholastic and citizenship records for their senior or post graduate years.
A West Lawn Pavilion. These were originally the homes and classrooms of the various Professors. One on the opposite side ,the "East Lawn" was the site of my French classes.
The "East Range". These arcades and student rooms parallel the Lawn rooms and were part of the original University design. Edgar Allen Poe had a room, now preserved on the West Range. I spent 5 school years in the same room on this East Range which was only a "roll" down the hill from the Medical School and better yet the Nursing School's residence.
The "Cracker Box' A small 4 room student residence behind the East Range near Randall Hall. I do not know its origin.
A professional stylized winter picture of the East Range after a snow storm. I liked this picture because the room with the open shutter is the one I where I lived. Note the woodpile. All of us had one for our fireplace.

Incidentally, a while back I wrote a post about my college days. Look it up and you will understand why those prewar years were outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment