Dear Assemblyman,
On June 1 I wrote in my blog, "I may take umbrage at the following snide comment in JG's May 27 blog:
"I think I picked the wrong profession. A long time ago coming up the roadway of success, I began to realize some of the jealousy and envy of some close to me. I was told by a friend of mine to get used to that, because jealousy and envy is a sickness of those whose path you cross who want what you have worked for, but do not want to put in the time and effort. With that, I should have become a doctor, for I would be rich with dealing with individuals and that sort of sickness!"
Although someone wrote in and stated that you were not referring to me,and others have suggested that your meaning was to be able to cure the sickness of jealousy and envy. I am suspicious that was not your intent.
On the other hand, perhaps I may be too presumptuous to think that my blog would be worthy of your attention. I would be dismayed if you considered me to be a 'Hater",indeed I consider you to be a consummate politician in the local party boss tradition best perfected by Hague, Pendergast and Daley among others. If the truth be told, all public figures are held to certain standards which of course makes you a perfect subject for critique by a would be columnist who has no aspirations for a public service career.
Thus it matters not except that in these post- election doldrums I have material for a blog.
I also have two quotations about the "political profession" which all politicians should heed:
"Politics is the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary" Robert Louis Stevenson
"Politics is supposedly the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close relationship to the first" Ronald Reagan
To return to your lament;"I think I picked the wrong profession.------I should have become a doctor, for I would be rich with dealing with individuals and that sort of sickness!". You have mentioned in your blog that you are wealthy enough to afford lawyers to sue those that may libel you. Indeed it would be nice to know how many pensions you are eligible for, as an employee in the Senate, as a Freeholder, and as an Assemblyman. One or multiple?
I can't imagine a career in politics as a wasted one. Moreover ,as Robert Louis Stevenson said there is no preparation needed for a political career although many have had a Law School background. The actual training is of the "hands on" methodology which takes an astute person to be as successful as you have been.
Compare that to becoming a " Doctor'" A term that I think you mean "physician" for a "doctor" comes from the Latin meaning teacher. Therefore you have many professionals who are entitled to be called 'Doctor"
To become a Physician you need four years of college, four years of medical school, and anywheres from two to six years of residency training in order to be eligible for board certification. You also need a license to practice, plus both State and Federal Licenses to prescribed "controlled substance" medications. None of which come cheap. You also are subject to numerous restrictive regulations from State and Federal authorities and even an Innocent deviation from any of these cold cost the loss of your license. I have not even gone into the different forms which must be filled out for reimbursement from different insurance companies and Medicare the slightest error giving them the excuse to withhold payment. Also the State requirements for "continued education" at bloated fees from the vendors.
I could go on but please Mr.Green did any of your past or present political positions require such preparation?
I would agree with you that a Physician can become "rich in dealing with patients", but not in a monetary sense but in the intra-human relationships that they develop. Unfortunately that was more a possibility in my day than with the restrictive "big brother'' atmosphere that the present day bureaucrat politicians have created under which today's physicians much work. Indeed a recent study has shown that nowadays, in order to escape the non medical burdens in today's medical practice, a larger number of physicians are becoming employed by hospitals and for profit clinics, instead of entering private practice..
The "doctor" today who becomes "rich' is an astute businessman, not necssary a devoted healer.
Finally I do not understand this; "and that sort of sickness". Perhaps some one can explain what was meant.
You wrote about publishing your blog that you were;'"having the most fun I have had in my political career thus far". Please do not stop "writing" now that the primary elections are over. I, for one, daily look forward to reading Jerry Green's Page.
I would be remiss. however, if I did not also comment on your recent blog. There has been a remarkable change for the better in grammar and phraseology in the recent postings when compared to your first offerings. I have been tripped up by your usage of rare but acceptable variants of some words,and have had to resort to a new dictionary. Even the syntax can sometimes be confusing although your meaning is always clear.
But when a word such as "coin" meaning create or invent is used in this sentence; “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, is one I coin solely for those who author false accusations that the voters obviously do not buy into.," you are taking false credit for someone else's comments.
I know that it was not your intent to appear to be a plagiarizer. To avoid negative comments don't try to bedazzle us with your extensive vocabulary. Four letter words are best understood by the masses. The Albatross around Adrian Mapps neck was his command of English , a curse from growing up in that more British than England island, Barbados.
Sincerely,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No need to publish this, but nice post.
ReplyDeleteAnd don't let him get away with any "school of hard knocks" nonsense. everyone goes to that school.
Your post was wonderful. The one issue I have with it was your encouragement of JG to continue to write his blog. The only thing that is more painful to the ear than reading JG blog is listening to him speak. Hopefully now that the election is over he will have some mercy on us and confine his communication to speaking to those who have to listen to him and get paid to do so.
ReplyDeleteWhy is this town and all you bloggers obsessed with Jerry Green? Why do you hang onto his every word? Why do you revel in hating him so much?
ReplyDeleteThen anytime oneone posts anything anti-Jerry, there is a knee-jerk host of cheer leaders.
Get a life people. Enjoy life. Don't hate so much.
Great post, Olddoc. It is clear that JG is borderline incompetent in communication. If you sit and listen to him speak I would go as far as to suggest he is illiterate. As for politics he has shown himself to be masterful. Of course politics has been described as the manipulation of the many for the benefit of the few. He has once again masterfully manipulated Plainfield. God help us.
ReplyDeleteDear Anon 9:18 AM
ReplyDeleteEverybody in this town is obsessed with Jerry Green because Jerry Green is obsessed with this town. Either directly, through his appointees or through his chosen candidates, he controls all of the official business of the city. That's anti-democratic.
People call him "boss" not out of respect, but to call to mind Richard Daley of Chicago, or Boss Tweed of New York, men who dominated their cities and listened and answered only to themselves.
To be a haters, people have to be envious of Green's success. We're not envious, we're resentful of his power to control everything. We the people want OUR power to be shared, not dictated by one man.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHi, Doc,
ReplyDeleteI assume you were being ironic in referring to Adrian's command of English as an "albatross" around his neck. It is unfortunate that many people really do view those with good verbal/written skills with suspicion and skepticism, often calling them elitist. As an English professor, this causes me great despair. I wish everyone could see Denzel Washington's film, "The Great Debaters," which was based on a debate team at my father's alma mater, Wiley College in Texas. My father viewed written and verbal eloquence is a hallmark of black achievement, and he was very proud of his children for being able to express themselves using an extensive vocabulary. It is not elitist to speak and write well--it is why people send their children to school. If one reads the speeches and writings of Mandela, Dr. King, Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. DuBois, Ida B. Welles, Barbara Jordan, etc., one would see that they took language seriously. I teach public speaking, and my students find it a joy and a delight to be able to work with words in a creative and deeply expressive way. Thanks for your great post.
Rebecca
CS, I greatly appreciated your comments. However after posting it I thought perhaps it was meant to be personal and therefore deleted it. Again I thank you.
ReplyDeleteRebecca,I am not sure that ironic could be the proper term. It is sad but true that too many took his eloquence as being "arrogant" and resented the manner in which he spoke. Some whose command of the language was not as expansive felt that he was talking down at them. For that reason alone they voted against Mapp. Sad but true.
Great post Doc! My problem with Jerry Green is that he has been in power for so long yet Plainfield is not where it should be. This city has so much untapped potential. If Jerry Green focused on moving us forward using the talents in the city rather than getting handouts for the city, change would come to Plainfield. There are a lot of educated and talented residents who would be happy, competent, and capable of serving the city. Unfortunately, Plainfield focuses on giving jobs and positions because of friendships or political connections regardless of the ability of the individual. That is why we are in a rut and that is how Jerry Green leads. So sad! I am beginning to think nothing can be changed and that I should just move!
ReplyDeleteDoc, I think it was indeed presumptious to suggest JG was thinking of you when he wrote that. Politics is hard work too and needs a lot of on the job training, the sort of thing that might be termed "internship" and "residency" in your profession, as well as a lot of skill if one wants to be successful. The problem with so many people who want to get elected is that they think they know it all already and don't need to work with other elected officials to accomplish anything.
ReplyDeleteAs for Adrian Mapp's "albatross," it is not his flowery language but rather the lack of substance behind his words. President Obama is a wonderful speaker but clearly there is a lot of substance there. Mapp is no Obama. Neither is JG, but he doesn't pretend to be.
Doc, Your blog has become a complete whine fest.
ReplyDeleteWhine on losers! The people have spoken. The republicans ans elitist have lost. The people's will has prevailed.