Today's Courier's editorial focuses on Plainfield's problems with code enforcement and the Pingry Arms situation.
Monday night during the "Public Comment" session of the Council meeting , I asked whether Plainfield's building codes had teeth enough to force multiple dwelling property owners (specifically 4 units or more per building) to maintain the properties. I added that if there was not the appropriate code ordinances was the city preparing to remedy the codes.I further expressed my concern that with the new multiple apartment redevelopment planned for the center city that there was a danger of Palinfield becoming a haven for "Slum Landlords"
According to Wednesday's Courier, City Administrator Dashield stated that a task force was being organized to study the issue.
I have three basic questions; What are state laws? How do they restrict the city from enacting punitive codes? How quickly can the new appropriate ordinances be enacted.
It would seem to me that we have the administrative and legal mechanism to produce the desired results without the delay to form and then wait for a report from a task force before taking action.
Along similar lines, I believe that it was Councilor Storch who at the June Agenda meeting suggested that ordinances including sufficient financial penalties be enacted to force banks and other holders of foreclosed properties to maintain the buildings and grounds. I would expect that both items will be on the agenda for the July meetings.
The Connolly organization owns about 20 multiple apartment buildings in Plainfield. How many have tax abatements? What are the conditions in these buildings? Are code violations being enforced? Let the public know.
It is about time that Administration and Council take action to turn Plainfield from a slum landlord's haven into a community we can all be proud to live in. Viva "Queen City"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well said, Doc. I am constantly amazed at how the council takes the administrations comment "I'll get back to you", as a sufficient reply. They never get back to anyone, and the council needs to hold their feet to the fire.
ReplyDeletePlainfield can hold down taxes just by enforcing codes that are in place. For example, the direct TV dishes. They are not to be displayed in the front of a house or roof. One day, with little effort, I looked at a 4 block area and came up with $1,000 in fines. And that was not even looking! Come on Council, live up to your responsiblity and hold the administration accountable.
I have expressed my opinion that when ever a question by either Council or citizen is answered, that we the public are entitled to a public response. The city site would be the appropriate vehicle, but promises of posting answers are never met.
ReplyDelete