I awoke this morning to a loud bang. What I thought was thunder must have been the second coming of the "BIG BANG". Wonders will never cease. The Star Ledger had on the first page of its Union County section an article about Muhlenberg Hospital titled "A 3-split over hospital's survival". My comments follow the article's discussion.
Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs supported by Assemblyman Green is reported to have stated that the city is seeking a buyer to keep the full service hospital open. From day one there has been no public communication either in the media or the puppet Council about any progress on this unrealistic approach. Apparently this is a verbal rather than operational plan.
She gave an explanation why the Council has turned a deaf ear to public requests for Plainfield joining a legal appeal. Quoting the Star Ledger "because it would undermine ongoing efforts (sic)to help the hospital, and would expose the city to hefty attorney fees". Perhaps the Administration would give us an complete itemized accounting of the fiscal years 2007 and 2008 actual legal fees including retainers.
POP's and the "Save Muhlenberg" group are taking a very proactive position in their plans for the legal appeal. The DHSS played footloose and fancy free with its own guidelines in issuing its analysis. No travel times stated were realistic, nor was the comments about the impact on the areas health care.
Although this group has not presented a specific alternate plan ,I believe that Diana Dawes has a potential contact.
Finally the 'Buy Muhlenberg " group has actively proceeded with at least one extremely interesting prospect headed by former Assemblyman David Schwartz. It has merit but again the local political powers have refused to consider its feasibility. Councilmen Burney and Reid have attended a presentation of the plan but again the Council has been mum.
Whether the plan to raise money by selling individual shares is realistic is questionable but at least is a positive direction. It would be most helpful if Schwartz could be more specific rather then talk in generalities. I would suppose that it is a question of which comes first. the egg or the chicken.
Although I retired from all active medical activity in 2001, I would be willing to assume a role as "Maven" with any bonafide effort to preserve a high grade health facility in Plainfied.
For those that do not know what a "Maven" is; A Maven is a Jewish Expression for a person considered to be an expert by concerned individuals who have little knowledge of the problem. Although the Maven, who either self proclaimed or erroneous perceived by the uninformed, may have little or any actual expertise is of little importance. He must be look up to for advice by those who would consult him. I believe I can qualify. ,
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment