Monday, July 14, 2008

BASTILLE DAY

In the same manner that the Twin Towers stood for the United States,The Eiffel Tower is the symbol of France. This picture originally in color which has deteriorated was take from the Trocadero across the Seine River with a direct view of the Tower.

July 14- Bastille Day- France's national holiday is the equivalent of our July 4th.

In July 1945 the 17th Airborne Division, 194th Glider Infantry Regiment, 1st Battalion had been redeployed from occupation duty in Duisburg Germany to Luneville France. Since the Division was being deactivated, individually we were waiting for reassignment to either the 82nd which was designated for the permanent occupation duty in Berlin, or among others the First Airborne Wing designated for the initial landings on Kyushu,the southernmost island of Japan.

Our Battalion including the Medical Detachment was to parade through the city that Bastille day. It was my turn to act as the medical unit's commanding officer for the march. This was something I detested since I had no sense of rhythm and inevitably after a few hundred yards the troops behind me were on the opposite foot from mine. Non-the-less I did survive that day and on the next day picked up orders to be transferred to the 82nd whic was in Epinal..

I thought that luck was with me for the day I joined the 82nd new orders had arrived at the 194th for me to go to the First Airborne Wing. I wanted nothing to do with that assignment. AS fate would have it my substitute was in transport via the States when the bombs were dropped He was 'home" months before I was.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment