
The Deceleration of Independence was signed 232 years ago, since then there has not been a generation that has not known warfare. Today we are fighting in Iraq,and Afghanistan.
There is a large faction in this country that would withdraw from Iraq. They reason that the war is wrong, that American lives are being needless sacrificed, and we should withdraw from all foreign military adventures. They are lost in the idealism of peace on earth, which has never existed and because of the nature of the human beast never will .
To abandon Iraq at this time is disrespectful to those who have already given their lives or suffered serious injury. Let us not repeat the vindictiveness of the Viet Nam war where the soldiers that fought in Southeast Asia were despised and ill treated when they returned home.
Even if the reason we invaded Iraq was wrong, we did rid this world of a murderous tyrant. That in itself makes this venture worthwhile. For us to turn a blind eye to this country now would be tragic. Instead, we must make sure that our leaders are not self centered egotists who believe that it is they who help God help us. Our new leaders political and military must be people who listen and are open to advice.
Too many Americans still subscribe to the falsehood that what we don't want to see will not hurt us. Seventy years ago this country under the leadership of Senators Borah and Vanderberg adopted an isolationist policy that ultimately led to the slaughter of millions of civilians in Europe and Asia, as well as military personnel. When we finally were involved turning back the forces of the ungodly was extremely costly in American lives.
But the world still turns its back on genocide and dictatorships that laugh at the United Nations "Universal Declaration of Human Rights". These same dictators of nations that are members of the UN wage terror and destruction on other countries.
Does this picture have anything to do with the Fourth. That is for the reader to decide. I believe that the fact my brother and I were in service during WWII was our obligation to preserve the basics that are expounded in the Declaration of Independence;
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness". "
No we did not volunteer, but both of us served as physicians in combat areas.
My brother had pilot training in the Navy and was attached to the Fleet Marine Air Wing. He was in Guadalcanal and received medals for his service there including the organization of the air evacuation procedures for the wounded.
At least his air vehicle had a motor. I was with a battalion in the Ardenes (Bulge) and arrived into Germany via a glider. I was in Berlin with the first occupation troops and fortunately returned home to watch the 82nd victory parade down 5th Ave.
Please don't misunderstand my position. I am not a war monger. I hate war, I have seen its horrors. I have had close friends killed, young men die in the aid station because their wounds were too severe for us to help. I have had to identify the remains of army friends. I have seen the destruction of homes and the horrendous conditions civilians in the battle zones have endured. No I hope we never have another war.
But I equally hope that the citizens of the United States do not bury their heads in the sand while innocent civilians are slaughter. How can we live with ourselves if we permit political murder and genocide to persist because it is not in our back yard?
One other item; enjoy your 4th and be careful with the fireworks.
Thanks Doctor for sharing your thoughts on war.
ReplyDeleteYou too have a peaceful and happy 4th of July.
Dr.
ReplyDeleteThe frontal assult went the way of the dinosour when Geneal Douglas MacArthur's strategy of leap frogging Jap strong holds brought victory while saving the lives of1000s of American soldiers. Further, the policy of containment vs destruction of the enemy has been discussed ever since with the preachers of containmnet prevailing. It is not whether the human animal is vicious or releases rage through war but whether the current approach in defending ourselves and a way of life is best realized through old solutions (frontal assults.) Technology, porous borders,poverty, and internal discontent require a more thoughtful script when dealing with terrorism, nationalism, poverty, and political power.
Bill Hetfield
Good looking guy, I bet you wished you had known it.
ReplyDelete