Monday, May 20, 2019

I AM DISMAYED


   I am dismayed but not surprised that Plainfield’s only 1st class restaurant, Giovannas” is closing on June 30. Its demise was predetermined when the Council approve the redevelopment plan that doomed the 2 active dinning places that drew non-Plainfielders into our town. 
  That plan calls for a WaaWaa including another gas station on the north (RR) side of South Ave which of course will make “Plainfield move Forward”. Yes, the buildings across from Restaurant row needs to be replaced but I fail to see how Plainfield is going to be better with more dual-purpose apartment/commercial structures. 
  I am sure Giovanna herself welcomes the forced “sale” of her property since restaurants in Plainfield are not attractive to new ownership.
  I am also dismayed not at the news that the Mayor is attending the conference of Mayors in Hawaii, but at the fact that not only his an unspecified entourage accompanying him instead of an assistant but how much it will cost the city has not been disclosed nor where the funds are coming from since there has been no Council approval which I believe our Charter requires.
  I am dismayed that I was not prepared for the present heat wave, since my AC vents have not been removed.
The Mets loosing 3 games to the worst team in baseball, the Marlins, and not scoring in the past 2 games darkened this weekend.
  The only pleasurable happening was my Waahoos (UVA) lacrosse team coming in the last 3 minutes from 4 goals down to tie Maryland and win in overtime. They will now be in the final 4 of the NCAA tournament. As Yogi said. “It is not over till it is over”.

5 comments:

  1. Doc, the 3.5% increase in property taxes comes on the heels of the announced junket of His Honor and six SENIOR staff to Hawaii. A little icing on the weevil infested cake is a million dollars for the Enterprise Zone. I can not imagine how this will be frittered away. Still, we listen to the relentless drum beat about the successful negotiation of the PILOT programs. Who are the benefactors? When does the deluge of income generated from them benefit PROPERTY OWNERS? If the Council wants to do something productive they should review the existing Agreements, the projected, and actual income from each. If it is working, and apparently it is not, or we wouldn't be facing a monumental increase in our property tax, then what must be done to correct it? The Council should also demand a quarterly accounting of Enterprise Zone funds...who is getting the bucks? What are the tangible benefits? His Honor should be called before Council to report the tangible benefits derived from the folly in Hawaii. Sun tans do not qualify. Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t get it - in 2014 Mayor Mapp went to Detroit by himself for the conference of mayors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii ain't Detroit. Detroit ain't Hawaii.

      Delete
    2. 2014 was also pre-40,000 dollar self initiated raise. In addition, I wonder if Mapp's pre-mayoral self would've agreed with this expense and lack of transparency if Sharon Robinson-Briggs was going to this alleged Hawaii conference with an "undisclosed"number of others. Bottom line: he can pay his own way, out of his own pocket. Trivago anyone?

      Delete
    3. Nothing like a free vacation for ones disciples at one of the most beautiful spots on our tax dollars. Mapp's and Trump's arrogance knows no limits.

      Delete