It Has been too long since I have posted a blog. I could
blame the weather-rain, clouds, lack of sunshine etc.; or too many doctor’s appointments, or
continued computer problems.
All are true, but perhaps it has been due to a form
of depression caused by happenings locally and nationally, compounded by an
impression that most people are not interested in preservation of our way of
life; our Democracy and civil rights.
Yes, the driving force today seems to be “if it is not
financial gain for me, I could care less”. Autocracy on government be it local,
county, state, or federal is accepted with only scattered complaints.
POTUS has an admiration of strongmen: Vladimir Putin in Russia. Xi
Jinping in China. Rodrigo Duterte in the Philippines. Kim Jong Un in North
Korea and believes that he can be like them here. He has a Republican Congress
that caters to him.
Now he acts as if the Saudis claims about Mr. Khashoggi’s
apparent murder is the truth, any other reports are fake news. But I agree with the Washington Post; “The only
way to determine the truth about what happened to Mr. Khashoggi is to
establish an independent international commission. “The Saudis cannot
investigate themselves,” wrote David Kaye, the special rapporteur on freedom of
expression, and Agnes Callamard, the special rapporteur on summary executions,
adding that “the Saudi responsibility seems practically irrefutable.”
I have lived in Plainfield the best part of 98 years. It is
so sad to see what was once “The Queen City of Central New Jersey’ dying as a desirable
place to live.
Today I read in Dan’s blog that after 128 years First
Unitarian Society of Plainfield is closing its building and leaving the
community. It is following the footsteps of such institutions; Muhlenberg
Medical Center, The YWCA and I believe the YMCA is planning to close. The Jewish
places of worship, as well as the Jewish Center. All the stores; Tepper’s, Rosenblum’s,
Bamberger’s, national chains that made Plainfield the place to come and spend
Thursday nights. Four busy banks in the downtown area have disappeared.
Administration claims great progress when a “gym” opened! Yes,
redevelopment has been mainly planned and a few completed apartment projects
that will place additional tax loads on the remaining citizens.
Even Dan seemed disturbed by an Administration plan to disband employee
Civil Service in favor of a plan that would favor patronage and nepotism. We can
expect that from a government that disregarded the charter and recommendations
of a commission in order to establish its own departmental structure with more
potential patronage positions.
Like Trump and his puppet Republican Congress we have Mapp and a rubber
stamp Council.
We do have election in about five weeks. We have a choice between
an in-place Campbell ticket and a Mapp endorsed one with a few outliers. We
have a choice between an Independent and a machine appointee for Councilor at
large. We have a choice between a tainted incumbent or a so-called uncommitted Republican
who does favor woman’s right of choice for Senator.
I hope citizens do turn out and vote for what they wish to stand
for.

No comments:
Post a Comment